LOS ANGELES — A second suspect in the videotaped sexual assaults of profoundly disabled women was arrested after he surrendered to police, authorities said.
Ernie Lloyd of Los Angeles, 27, was arrested Saturday after he appeared at a Hollywood police station and announced that he had seen himself on the news and knew he was wanted, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Captain Michael Parker said in a statement.
Parker said police officers recognized Lloyd from photos and artist sketches of four men that were gleaned from more than 100 hours of video delivered to sheriff’s headquarters last year.
Lloyd was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail. The sheriff’s office said it didn’t know if he had retained a lawyer.
As many as 10 suspects could have been involved in the assaults, investigators said.
Police had identified one suspect, Bert Hicks, 42, who is serving time at Tehachapi State Prison on two felony sex counts and two abuse counts.
Hicks, a former worker at a Los Angeles care facility, is scheduled for release in 2012, according to sheriff’s officials.
The videos, received in the mail by authorities last March, show men sexually assaulting physically and mentally disabled women.
Officials said it took months for investigators to digitally enhance the grainy footage and produce pictures and artist sketches of four of the suspects.
Detectives believe the assaults occurred in 2007 or earlier at a Los Angeles residential care facility where Lloyd was living.