SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. — A mother, father, and their son were electrocuted yesterday in Southern California after one touched a downed power line and the other two attempted rescues, a Fire Department spokesman said.
Firefighters were called to the San Bernardino home at about 5:45 a.m. by a 17-year-old girl who said her parents and brother had been electrocuted and were lying in the backyard, fire spokesman Jason Serrano said.
Firefighters saw three bodies in contact with an arcing 12,000-volt electrical line in the backyard but it was too dangerous to free them, Serrano said.
A utility company finally cut the power and coroner’s officials were called.
The victims were identified as Steven Vego, 43; his wife, Sharon, 42; and their son, 21-year-old Jonathan Cole, according to the sheriff’s department.
The fallen line set small grass fires in the front and back yards, Serrano said. The father was trying to douse the backyard fire when he touched the power line.