NEW YORK - Lawyers for the man accused in the kidnapping and dismemberment killing of an 8-year-old New York City boy learned yesterday that a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation had found him competent for trial.
Levi Aron’s lawyers - who claim he has complained of hearing voices - said they still plan to conduct their own exams to determine whether to pursue an insanity defense.
According to court papers made public yesterday, Aron told detectives his victim put up a struggle and that afterward he was hearing voices telling him “to take his own life for what he did.’’
Police said Aron made the remarks last month about the time he directed them to a trash bin where he allegedly dumped a red suitcase containing body parts. As the interrogation wore on, Aron told them, “I’m famous,’’ the papers say.
The 35-year-old defendant also was asked if he knew anything about past sex crimes against children.
The papers say he recounted how a man groped him on a subway train when he was a teenager.
“But I never did that to a child because I don’t swing that way,’’ he said.
Leiby Kletzky got lost on his walk home from a religious day camp July 11 and asked Aron, whom he met on the street, for help, prosecutors said.
It was the first time the little boy was allowed to walk alone.