THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Maid sues ex-IMF chief over alleged attack

Associated Press / August 9, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

NEW YORK - A hotel maid who says she was sexually assaulted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn, the former head of the International Monetary Fund, sued him yesterday, seeking unspecified damages for what she calls the “violent and sadistic’’ attack in a room at the upscale Sofitel hotel.

Lawyers for the maid, Guinean immigrant Nafissatou Diallo, wrote in the lawsuit that Strauss-Kahn “intentionally, brutally, and violently sexually assaulted Ms. Diallo and in the process humiliated, degraded, violated, and robbed Ms. Diallo of her dignity as a woman.’’

The lawsuit, filed in state court in the Bronx, accuses Strauss-Kahn of acting like a common criminal after the attack, fleeing the midtown Manhattan hotel so quickly that he left behind traces of his semen, along with bloody tissues.

“He rushed out of the hotel with toothpaste smeared on the outside of his mouth and was looking over his shoulders,’’ the lawsuit said.

Strauss-Kahn, widely seen as a French presidential candidate before his May 14 arrest, was pulled off a plane and detained within hours after Diallo reported she was attacked.

He has pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted rape and other crimes. He and his lawyers have called a series of interviews Diallo conducted in recent weeks “an unseemly circus’’ designed to inflame public opinion.

Strauss-Kahn, who is 65 and married, resigned his IMF post after his arrest. He was freed from house arrest last month after prosecutors said they had discovered facts that cast doubt on the credibility of his 32-year-old accuser.

Prosecutors have said Diallo lied about her background - including telling them an emotional story of being gang-raped in her homeland. She says now she was raped, but not in the manner she described as part of an application for US asylum.

Strauss-Kahn is due back in criminal court Aug. 23.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...