SANTA FE, Texas—The bad luck of a stuck duck changed when firefighters in Santa Fe rescued the bird wedged in a chimney. Fire Chief Tommy Anderson said the homeowner heard the bird and lit a fire, hoping the duck would get out on its own from the open-top chimney. Anderson said the plan backfired, when "it filled her house with smoke." Firefighters who were summoned around 5 p.m. Wednesday determined the bird was too big to get free on its own.
Anderson said the fire was put out, the damper was opened and "a wing was hanging out." The chief said a firefighter reached into the lower part of the chimney, grabbed the duck and pulled the animal out.
Anderson said the duck was taken outside and it flew away.
Information from: The Galveston County Daily News, http://www.galvnews.com