THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Lawsuit over exploding lid settled in Michigan

January 18, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

DETROIT—A Detroit-area man who says he was knocked unconscious by an exploding lid has settled his lawsuit against a grocer and a food company.

Trial was scheduled last week in federal court. But Darryl Alexander's attorney, Mark Miller, said Tuesday he reached an agreement with Kroger Co. and Del Monte Foods. He offered no details.

In November, Kroger and Del Monte offered $150,000 but it was rejected as too low.

Alexander says a stubborn lid on a jar of fruit flew through the air and struck him in the eye after he hit it with the handle of a screwdriver in 2008. The Southfield man claimed the fruit was sold after its expiration and gas built up in the jar.

Messages seeking comment were left with Kroger and Del Monte.

PaulRevered on Twitter@PaulRevered on Twitter
Alerting you to what's interesting on Boston.com
    waiting for twitterWaiting for twitter.com to feed in the latest...