Obama's bio, campaign coverage
- An overhaul of President Bush's No Child Left Behind law to better measure student progress, make room for non-core subjects like music and art and be less punitive toward failing schools.
- A tax credit to pay up to $4,000 of college costs for students who perform 100 hours of community service a year. Obama would pay for his plan by ending corporate tax deducations for CEO pay and delaying NASA's moon and Mars missions.
- Supports paying "master teachers" more money based on value they add to schools.
- Opposed Supreme Court antisegregation ruling.
- Supports raising the maximum Pell Grant from $4,050 to $5,100.
- An $18 billion plan that would encourage, but not mandate, universal pre-kindergarten.
- Teacher pay raises tied to, although not based solely on, test scores.