- Sponsored 2006 "guest worker" bill that would have allowed illegal immigrants to stay in the US, work and apply to become legal residents after learning English, paying fines and back taxes and clearing a background check.
- Has reversed his earlier support for the "guest worker" program, saying it is more important to secure the border first.
- Would teach immigrants English (voted "yes" in 2007 to make it the official language).
- Supports deporting 2 million illegal immigrants who committed crimes.
- Wants to build a fence and boost enforcement along the Mexican border.