- Opposed the Iraq war before he was elected to the Senate
- Voted against one major military spending bill in May 2007; otherwise voted in favor of money to support the war.
- Says he would withdraw US troops within 16 months of taking office in January 2009 and would leave no permanent bases. Initially had said a timetable for completing withdrawal would be irresponsible without knowing what facts he'd face in office.
- Says his early opposition to the war shows he is best placed to make a "clean break" from the Republican approach.
- Opposed the troop increase, but said the troop surge has worked in ways nobody could have imagined
- Supports capping troop levels at 130,000.