Now, there are already dueling and growing gaffe lists for Barack Obama and John McCain.
The Republican National Committee today issued a list of Obama "tall tales:"
1. Mistaking the Nazi concentration camp his uncle helped liberate, saying it was Auschwitz, when it was Buchenwald.
2. Saying that his parents met because of the 1965 Selma civil rights march.
3. Claiming that he became fluent in Indonesian as a child.
4. Putting himself at the center of an anti-asbestos campaign at a Chicago housing complex.
5. Taking credit for passing legislation requiring nuclear energy companies to disclose low-level leaks.
6. Claiming he received a stockholder letter revealing that his blind trust wasn't so blind.
The Democratic National Committee responded with a longer one of McCain's "Top 10 Misstatements and Outright Deceptions:"
1. Doesn't even know who is in charge in Iran.
2. Iraq/Iran, Sunni/Shia: McCain doesn't know the difference.
3. Still thinks Czechoslovakia (which split into two countries in 1993) exists.
4. Wrongly claimed that Baghdad was mostly normal.
5. Called Baghdad market safe.
6. Can't even remember how little he knows about the economy.
7. Falsely claimed he never requested pork.
8. Falsely claimed that tax cuts increased government revenues.
9. Claim to be untainted by special interest money is false.
10. Wrongly claimed he never supported amnesty for illegal immigrants.
About Political Intelligence
Glen Johnson is Politics Editor at boston.com and lead blogger for "Political Intelligence." He moved to Massachusetts in the fourth grade, and has covered local, state, and national politics for over 25 years. E-mail him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @globeglen.