One person died in the storm, a boy who got into a running car at midday today in Boston to warm up after shoveling snow and succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The Boston Fire Department said today that the boy of about 11 was on Nazing Street, near Franklin Park, when he got into a small four-door sedan to get warm after shoveling the walkway and car at about 11:40 a.m.
According to updates from the Boston Fire Department on Twitter, the boy and his father were shoveling snow off a walkway at 3 Nazing St. when the boy got cold. The two went into a car to stay warm with the engine running.
The back of the SUV was completely encased in snow about 4 feet high. The car filled with carbon monoxide.— Boston Fire Dept. (@BostonFire) February 9, 2013
Rescuers took him to Boston Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Other than that incident, there were no major injuries or deaths due to the storm, officials said.