RadioBDC Logo
Seen It All | Jake Bugg Listen Live
 
 
< Back to front page Text size +

Report: Russia withheld information about texts involving Boston bomb suspect

Posted by Angela Nelson, Boston.com Staff  May 11, 2013 11:29 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Russian officials did not disclose to the US text messages that suggested that Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was interested in joining militant groups, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

Russia alerted federal investigators in 2011 about Tsarnaev, 26, in part due to text messages between his mother and a Russian relative, the report said. Unnamed US officials who spoke to the newspaper said Tsarnaev wanted to join a militant group that Russia blames for attacks in the Caucasus region.

Tsarnaev died last month following a gun battle with police and has been buried in Virginia. His brother, Dzokhar Tsarnaev, 19, has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property resulting in death.

About The Source

The Source is your destination for must-read news. Compiled by Boston.com staff, it offers compelling stories, photos, videos, and links from Boston and around the globe. The latest story making headlines? That viral video you heard about? The stunning picture you'll forward to your friends? They're all here.

Submit to The Source

Have a link you want to share? Use the form below to send it to us for consideration.
120 characters left

Thanks for your submission!

archives