CONAKRY, Guinea - Two Cabinet ministers in Guinea resigned and France urged its citizens to leave the former French colony because armed attacks are increasing in the aftermath of a bloody rally last month where soldiers fired on prodemocracy demonstrators.
Information Minister Justin Morel Jr. and Labor Minister Alpha Diallo said they cannot serve a government responsible for such violence.
A peaceful prodemocracy rally in the West African country Sept. 28 took a violent turn when presidential guard troops opened fire on tens of thousands of demonstrators. A Guinean human rights group says 157 people were killed. The government put the death toll at 57.
Morel resigned late Thursday, citing moral reasons, and Diallo Wednesday, citing religious convictions.
“My conscience has remained tormented, my heart disturbed, and my sense of reasoning has told me that I no longer have any reason to continue to head this ministry and neither do I have the moral force to be the spokesman of the government after these horrible killings,’’ Morel said in his resignation letter to military leader Captain Moussa “Dadis’’ Camara.
Agriculture Minister Abdulrahmane Sano resigned Monday, citing the protest as his reason.
The French government advised its citizens to leave Guinea because of attacks by gunmen against people leaving Conakry’s airport.