THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Militant attack in Nigeria kills 8

Bombs explode during festivities

By Bashir Adigun
Associated Press / October 2, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

ABUJA, Nigeria — Two car bombs exploded yesterday as Nigeria celebrated its 50th independence anniversary, killing at least eight people in an unprecedented attack on the nation’s capital by militants from the oil-rich southern delta region.

The attacks claimed by the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta came as President Goodluck Jonathan and other dignitaries sat only a 10-minute walk away.

The bombings raise new questions about political stability and security in Africa’s most populous nation as it approaches a critical presidential election and remains one of the world’s top crude oil suppliers.

The militant group issued a warning to journalists before the attacks, telling people to stay away from festivities at Eagle Square in the nation’s capital of Abuja. It blamed Nigeria’s government for doing nothing to end the unceasing poverty in the delta as the nation receives billions of dollars from oil revenue.

“There is nothing worth celebrating after 50 years of failure,’’ the group’s statement read. “For 50 years, the people of the Niger Delta have had their land and resources stolen from them.’’

The group said the explosive devices had been planted by “operatives working inside the government security services.’’

Police Minister Adamu Waziri said that eight people had been killed and 18 others wounded in the attacks.

The car bombings seemed designed to lure first responders and then kill them with a second blast. Five minutes after the first vehicle exploded, the second went off, a police officer said. At least one of the dead was a policeman, the officer said. The officer spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

A Nigerian Red Cross spokesman said his group transported 38 wounded people to local hospitals, where doctors desperately needed blood for transfusions.

In Eagle Square, a small explosion was heard before members of the military paraded in front of the gathered dignitaries.

The anniversary ceremony continued without interruption. Afterward, Jonathan’s office issued a statement condemning the “wicked and dastardly’’ attack.

“The president wants these families to know that their loved ones have not died in vain,’’ the statement read.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...