13-Year-Old Officially Youngest Female to Scale Everest

(FILES) In this photograph taken on April 18, 2014, Everest Base Camp is seen from Crampon Point, the entrance into the Khumbu icefall below Mount Everest, following an avalanche that killed sixteen Nepalese sherpas in the Khumbu icefall. A Chinese woman became the first person to reach the summit of Mount Everest this season, officials said Saturday, but the climb was clouded by controversy because she took a helicopter part of the way. Forty-one-year-old Wang Jing reached Everest summit accompanied by five Nepalese sherpas, tourism ministry official Madhusudhan Burlakoti told AFP. "Wang is the first climber to scale Mt Everest from Nepal side and they are now on way back," he said. But he said that the Nepalese officials had not yet decided whether to log the climb as an official ascent of 8,848-metre (29,029-foot) mountain because she used a helicopter for a big part of the way. The ascent comes just over a month after an avalanche killed 16 Nepalese guides in the deadliest ever accident on Mount Everest, spurring a virtual shutdown of the world's tallest peak. AFP PHOTO / ROBERT KAY / FILESROBERT KAY/AFP/Getty Images
Everest Base Camp.

Look out, boys: There’s a new climber in town.

A 13-year-old Indian girl, Malavath Purna, is officially the youngest female to ever climb Mount Everest, according to The Times of India. She completed the feat after 52 days at 6 a.m. Sunday, May 25.

Purna wasn’t alone. She was accompanied up Earth’s highest mountain by 16-year-old classmate Sadhanapalli Anand Kumar. The pair attends the Andhra Pradesh Social Welfare Educational Society in Andhra Pradesh.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Purna did have a little training beforehand, however. The teen attended a mountaineering institute in the West bengal town of Darjeeling, but that certainly doesn’t take away from the awesomeness of her Himalayan achievement.

The feat seems even more incredible since it comes on the heels of the deadliest Everest avalanche in history, which occurred in April and killed 13 people.