NASHVILLE - Authorities have dropped the case against a Tennessee father arrested in Japan when he snatched his children from his former wife, the man’s spokesman said yesterday.
Christopher Savoie was arrested Sept. 30 in Fukuoka, Japan, as he tried to enter the US Consulate with his 9-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter. His former wife, Noriko Savoie, had violated a US court custody decision by taking the children from Franklin, Tenn., to her native Japan a month earlier.
In a statement, Savoie said he was not surprised the case had been dropped. He said that if Japanese authorities had reason to indict him they would have while he was in custody.
After the mother took the children to Japan, a Tennessee court issued a warrant for her arrest and gave the father full custody. That order has no effect because Japan hasn’t signed an international treaty governing child abduction.
Even so, Savoie said, he still had joint custody when he was arrested. The children are still in that country, Yoder said.