THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Teen in bus tragedy wakes from coma

Associated Press / October 21, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

HONG KONG — Nearly two months after a bus hijacking tragedy killed his two sisters and father and put him in a coma, a Hong Kong teenager awoke and identified his mother, his doctor said yesterday.

A disgruntled former police officer commandeered a bus carrying Hong Kong tourists, including the Leung family, in the Philippine capital, Manila, on Aug. 23. Millions around the world watched on live television as police commandos exchanged fire with hostage-taker Rolando Mendoza after negotiations broke down. Eight passengers died before Mendoza was killed by a sniper.

Hong Kong was particularly moved by the plight of the Leungs, natives of the wealthy southern Chinese financial hub. The father, Ken, died trying to subdue the gunman, who then killed his two daughters, 21-year-old Doris and 14-year-old Jessie. The only survivors were the mother, Amy, who is also a Canadian citizen, and 18-year-old son Jason, who fell into a coma after suffering a head injury.

About two months after being flown back to Hong Kong for treatment, Jason regained consciousness last week and spoke his first words, his doctor said at a news conference yesterday.

The neurosurgeon, however, cautioned that Jason’s motor functions are still restricted and full recovery is far off.

The teen graduated from high school in Ontario.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...