THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Australia OKs alleged Nazi’s extradition

Associated Press / November 13, 2009

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

ADELAIDE, Australia - The Australian government yesterday approved the extradition of an alleged Nazi collaborator Hungary accuses of a World War II killing.

Brendan O’Connor, minister of Home Affairs, said Australia takes war crimes seriously and will not be a haven for criminals.

The Hungarian government accuses Australian citizen Charles Zentai, 88, of being one of three men who tortured and killed a Jewish teenager in Budapest in 1944 for not wearing a star identifying him as a Jew.

Zentai, who immigrated to Australia in 1950, says he is innocent and was not in Budapest at the time. He turned himself in to Australian police in the western city of Perth last month after the Federal Court ruled he was eligible for extradition.

Hungary has two months to carry out the extradition.

Zentai can still appeal.