LISBON, Portugal (AP) — Portugal’s state broadcaster is blaming its head of news for allowing police to privately view raw footage captured during violent clashes with anti-austerity protesters outside Parliament earlier this month.
The revelation that the police had access to the footage has prompted concerns about the safety of journalists as well as the broadcaster’s independence. It remains unclear whether any laws were broken.
After an internal inquiry, Radio e Televisao de Portugal says Wednesday that its news chief Nuno Santos granted police permission to watch the footage on company premises the day after Nov. 14 protests.
Santos resigned last week but has denied the allegation.
The Interior Ministry, which oversees the police, says there are legal doubts about whether investigating officers acted properly and has asked the Attorney-General to open an urgent investigation.