|An image from a home video shows Bosnian Serb wartime military commander Ratko Mladic. (Elvis Barukcic/AFP/Getty Images)|
Bosnia TV airs Mladic home videos
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - Bosnian state television has broadcast several video clips it says show war crimes fugitive Ratko Mladic living freely in Serbia despite genocide charges filed against him by a UN tribunal in 1995.
The Sarajevo-based TV Federacije said the home videos were taken over a period of years, one as recently as 2008. But Belgrade officials said yesterday that the most recent was filmed in 2001, when the former Bosnian Serb army commander was last seen in public before disappearing.
Mladic has been on the run since 1995 when the UN war crimes court in The Hague indicted him on genocide charges for allegedly orchestrating the massacre of about 8,000 Bosnian Muslims in Srebrenica during Bosnia's 1992-95 war.
Pro-Western leaders in Belgrade have insisted that they do not know where Mladic is, although their recent investigation revealed that he had been hiding in different apartments in a new part of Belgrade as recently as 2006.
Some of the footage showed him singing Serbian folk songs and dancing at weddings and private parties, as well as receiving guests at his house in a Belgrade neighborhood, or cuddling his baby granddaughter.
A video dated September 2000 showed him at a wedding party of one of his bodyguards in a restaurant near Sarajevo that is located near the main NATO base in Bosnia.
Another amateur video, apparently taken by someone from his family circle, shows him sitting in wooded surroundings of what the television said were Serbian Army barracks.
The Serbian government official in charge of relations with the UN tribunal, Rasim Ljajic, said at an urgently called news conference that the footage aired by Sarajevo TV late Wednesday was part of the material that was impounded last December from Mladic's Belgrade home, and handed over to UN prosecutors.