THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Vatican to offer 3 reasons it’s not liable for abuse

Church hopes to shield pope from Ky. suit

The Vatican is seeking to dismiss the suit before Benedict XVI can be questioned or secret documents subpoenaed. The Vatican is seeking to dismiss the suit before Benedict XVI can be questioned or secret documents subpoenaed.
By Nicole Winfield
Associated Press / March 31, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

  • E-mail|
  • Print|
  • Reprints|
  • |
Text size +

VATICAN CITY — Dragged deeper than ever into the clerical sex abuse scandal, the Vatican is launching a legal defense that the church hopes will shield the pope from a lawsuit in Kentucky seeking to have him deposed.

Court documents obtained yesterday by the Associated Press show that Vatican lawyers plan to argue that the pope has immunity as head of state, that American bishops who oversaw abusive priests weren’t employees of the Vatican, and that a 1962 document is not the “smoking gun’’ that provides proof of a coverup.

The Holy See is trying to fend off the first US case to reach the stage of determining whether victims have a claim against the Vatican for negligence for allegedly failing to alert police or the public about Roman Catholic priests who molested children.

The case was filed in 2004 in Kentucky by three men who say they were abused by priests and assert negligence by the Vatican. Their lawyer, William McMurry, is seeking class-action status for the case, saying there are thousands of victims across the country.

“This case is the only case that has been ever been filed against the Vatican which has as its sole objective to hold the Vatican accountable for all the priest sex abuse ever committed in this country,’’ he said in a phone interview. “There is no other defendant. There’s no bishop, no priest.’’

The Vatican is seeking to dismiss the suit before Benedict XVI can be questioned or secret documents subpoenaed. The preview of the legal defense was submitted last month in US District Court in Louisville. The Vatican’s strategy is to be formally filed in the coming weeks. Vatican officials declined to comment yesterday. Plaintiffs in the Kentucky suit argue that US diocesan bishops were employees of the Holy See, and that Rome was therefore responsible for their alleged wrongdoing in failing to report abuse. They say a 1962 Vatican document mandated that bishops not report sex abuse cases to police. The Vatican has argued there is nothing in the document that precluded bishops from calling police.

With the US scandal reinvigorated by reports of abuse in Europe and scrutiny of Benedict’s handling of abuse cases when he was archbishop of Munich, the Kentucky case and another in Oregon have taken on greater significance. Lawyers in Australia have said they plan to use similar strategies. At the same time, the hurdles remain enormously high to force a foreign government to turn over confidential documents, let alone to subject a head of state to questioning by US lawyers, analysts say.

The United States considers the Vatican a sovereign state — the two have had diplomatic relations since 1984. In 2007, US District Court Judge John Heyburn rejected an initial request by the plaintiffs to depose Benedict.

“They will not be able to depose the pope,’’ said Joseph Dellapenna, a professor at Villanova University Law School and author of “Suing Foreign Governments and Their Corporations.’’

“But lower-level officials could very well be deposed and there could be subpoenas for documents as part of discovery,’’ he said.

McMurry last week filed a new court motion seeking to depose the pope; Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, currently Vatican secretary of state but for years the pope’s deputy at the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; Cardinal William Levada, an American who currently heads the Congregation; and Archbishop Pietro Sambi, the Vatican’s representative in the United States.