THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING

Catholic church uneasy over Berlusconi probe

FILE - In this photo taken on Sept. 30, 2010, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi looks on at the Senate, in Rome. Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi had sex with a significant number of prostitutes, Milan prosecutors alleged Monday, Jan. 17, 201, in documents seeking authorization to search some of his properties. The prosecutors are leading a probe aimed at determining if the 74-year-old media mogul paid for sex with a 17-year-old Moroccan girl who attended parties at one of his villas last year. Prostitution isn't a crime in Italy, but exploiting or aiding prostitution with minors is. The prosecutors allege that Berlusconi had sex with a 'significant' number of young female prostitutes and used apartments to compensate the women, along with cash payments. Berlusconi has denied wrongdoing. FILE - In this photo taken on Sept. 30, 2010, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi looks on at the Senate, in Rome. Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi had sex with a significant number of prostitutes, Milan prosecutors alleged Monday, Jan. 17, 201, in documents seeking authorization to search some of his properties. The prosecutors are leading a probe aimed at determining if the 74-year-old media mogul paid for sex with a 17-year-old Moroccan girl who attended parties at one of his villas last year. Prostitution isn't a crime in Italy, but exploiting or aiding prostitution with minors is. The prosecutors allege that Berlusconi had sex with a "significant" number of young female prostitutes and used apartments to compensate the women, along with cash payments. Berlusconi has denied wrongdoing. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini, File)
January 18, 2011

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

ROME—An influential Italian Catholic newspaper said Tuesday that the prostitution probe into Premier Silvio Berlusconi's encounters with a Moroccan teenager is like a "devastating tornado" damaging the country's image, but Berlusconi dismissed any idea he might resign.

Avvenire, newspaper of the Italian Bishops' Conference, said "the mere idea that a man who sits atop Italian institutions is implicated in stories of prostitution -- worse yet, prostitution of a minor -- is hurtful and upsetting."

In a front-page editorial, Avvenire said the probe by Milan prosecutors is like a "devastating tornado that is beating down not just on the Italian leader and a group of his friends and acquaintances, but on our country's international image."

Milan prosecutors are investigating Berlusconi on suspicion he paid for sex with the Moroccan girl, a nightclub dancer who was a minor at the time of the alleged encounters, between February and May. The girl, nicknamed Ruby, turned 18 in November.

The prosecutors are also investigating if Berlusconi abused his powers to win the release of the girl in May from police custody, where she was held for theft.

Paying for sex with a prostitute below the age of 18 is a crime in Italy.

The 74-year old Berlusconi denies wrongdoing and has vowed to continue in office through 2013, when elections are due.

As the premier was entering a meeting of leaders of his People of Freedom Party Tuesday night, reporters asked him if he intended to resign.

"What, are you crazy?" Berlusconi called back.

In a video message shown on Italian TV days ago, Berlusconi said the allegations were "completely groundless and even laughable." He maintained he is the victim of a persecution orchestrated by left-leaning prosecutors intent on ousting him.

Berlusconi's conservative coalition has sided with the Italian Catholic church on issues including right-to-life and the protection of traditional family values. But several scandals engulfing the premier over the past 18 months, amid allegations of wild parties and encounters with prostitutes, have strained relations.

Avvenire said Tuesday that public officials must have "a measure of sobriety and respect for oneself, all others and the office they held." In another sign of unease, SIR, the Italian bishops' news agency, called for "prompt answers" to the Milan prosecutors' questions.

Also under investigation are a former showgirl who is now a provincial government official from Berlusconi's party; a well-known journalist for one of Berlusconi's TV channels and longtime friend; and a talent agent for entertainment programs. The prosecutors allege the three helped procure and handle the prostitutes.

Boston.com top stories on Twitter

    waiting for twitterWaiting for Twitter to feed in the latest...