Four former News executives challenge Murdochs’ testimony
All cast doubt on bosses’ remarks in hacking scandal
LONDON - Four former News International executives have challenged statements made to Parliament by their bosses, Rupert and James Murdoch, with one saying yesterday that Rupert Murdoch wrongly blamed outside lawyers for improperly investigating his company’s phone hacking scandal.
Jonathan Chapman, former director of legal affairs at News International, said the elder Murdoch made a mistake when he blamed the London law firm Harbottle & Lewis for failing to uncover the scope of the hacking scandal in 2007. News International is the British arm of Murdoch’s
“I don’t think Mr. Murdoch had his facts right,’’ Chapman told lawmakers. “He was wrong.’’
Chapman was one of four executives fielding questions yesterday from Parliament’s media committee about what they knew and when. All cast doubt on key aspects of the testimony given by Rupert Murdoch and his son James earlier this summer.
The scandal has devastated the family’s British newspaper arm, leading to the closing of the News of the World tabloid and the arrests of more than a dozen of its former journalists. Yesterday, News International announced 110 job cuts across its surviving titles.
Revelations of systematic wrongdoing at the top-selling Sunday newspaper have also rocked British police and politicians, both of whom are accused of turning a blind eye to shady practices for fear of antagonizing the Murdochs’ powerful media empire.
Andy Coulson, a former News of the World editor and until recently Prime Minister David Cameron’s top media aide, has resigned in the scandal - as have the two top officers with Scotland Yard. Coulson has also been arrested.
Although allegations of illegal behavior are still emerging, the scandal’s focus has shifted to questions of who knew what and when - and whether Murdoch lieutenants tried to bury the scandal by paying off those involved.
On those points, the Murdochs and their former executives do not agree.
For example: Was James Murdoch made aware of a critical piece of evidence unearthed in 2008 which suggested that phone hacking went beyond Clive Goodman, the only reporter ever convicted over the practice?
The younger Murdoch told parliamentarians in July that he was not. Yesterday, his former legal adviser, Tom Crone, repeatedly insisted that James Murdoch was.
“He realized that the News of the World was involved, and that that involved people beyond Clive Goodman,’’ Crone said. He was backed by Colin Myler - who replaced Coulson as News of the World editor following Goodman’s conviction.
“Everybody perfectly understood the seriousness of the discussion,’’ Myler said.
And what about the massive payout made to Goodman after he had been convicted of illegal eavesdropping? Who, one parliamentarian asked, would authorize the payment of $400,000 to a criminal?
In a letter to parliamentarians, James Murdoch said it was Chapman, along with Daniel Cloke, News International head of personnel, who authorized the payment to Goodman.
Not so, the pair said yesterday. They both testified it was Les Hinton, one of Murdoch’s most trusted aides - and until recently the publisher of The Wall Street Journal - who authorized the award. Hinton is the most senior Murdoch executive to resign in the scandal.
Chapman said Hinton said they were acting on compassionate grounds, although he acknowledged it might seem odd that News International was acting so generously toward an employee guilty of gross misconduct.
“It could be seen from the outside as a strange thing to do,’’ he said.
News International attacked its former employees’ testimony as unclear and contradictory.
In a statement, James Murdoch said he stood by his previous statements, alleging that “neither Mr. Myler nor Mr. Crone told me that wrongdoing extended beyond Mr. Goodman or [Glenn] Mulcaire’’ - the private investigator Goodman was employing. Both Goodman and Mulcaire went to jail for phone hacking.
Yesterday’s testimony did indeed include contradictions. Myler and Cloke, for example, disagreed on what the latter had said following News International’s internal investigation. In a couple of places, Crone’s statements seemed at odds with what he had told lawmakers earlier, although he insisted he was being consistent.
There was a fair amount of forgetfulness on display yesterday, as well.
Crone, for example, could not remember whether he was at work the night that the News of the World published details of teenage murder victim Milly Dowler’s phone messages. Myler could not remember whether he was involved in reviewing invoices when he took over at News of the World.
Myler, near the end of his testimony, said he believed the scandal had given up all its secrets.
“I doubt whether anything remains under wraps,’’ he said.
But Crone confirmed that a freelancer working for News of the World had put together a dossier on two lawyers representing hacking victims who were suing Murdoch’s empire. Attorney Mark Lewis, who represents phone hacking victims, has described the move as an apparent attempt by Murdoch’s newspaper to gain an unfair advantage in their legal battles.
Crone refused to say who had commissioned the work, citing the ongoing police investigation.