Italy gives emergency aid to flooded towns
ROME—A minister inspecting flood-ravaged coastal towns in Italy says the government has approved euro65 million ($91 million) in emergency funds.
Infrastructure Minister Altero Mattioli also told reporters that a Cabinet meeting in Rome Friday declared a state of emergency for the population of the stricken areas in Tuscany and Liguria, including towns that are part of the Cinque Terre tourist route.
Flash floods and mudslides triggered by heavy rains earlier this week barreled through picturesque towns along the northwest coast, burying streets under mud, damaging homes, stores, churches and overturning vehicles.
At least nine people died. Among hard-hit towns are Monterosso and Vernazza, along the Cinque Terre hiking trail popular for its breathtaking views.