Senator Scott Brown, citing the danger posed by Hurricane Sandy, has pulled out of his fourth and final debate with Elizabeth Warren, which was scheduled to take place Tuesday evening in Boston and be broadcast live on television.
“It is simply not appropriate to go forward with a political debate when a disaster strikes,” Brown’s spokesman, Colin Reed, said in a statement released this afternoon. “The focus for all of us before, during, and after the storm needs to be on emergency response and disaster relief, not campaigns and politics.”
Reed’s statement did not indicate whether the senator wanted to reschedule after the storm subsides.
In a statement, Warren campaign manager Mindy Myers agreed with not debating Tuesday, but sounded open to a possible rescheduling.
“Elizabeth believes the focus now must be on public safety and ensuring people get the help they need during the storm and in its aftermath. With the concern for public safety and cleanup paramount, Elizabeth believes the debate should not be held tomorrow,” said Myers.
The debate’s organizers, a consortium of Boston media outlets that includes the Globe, had been planning to go ahead with the hour-long debate.
It was to be moderated by CNN’s John King and be broadcast live at 7 p.m. on WGBH-TV (Channel 2), WCVB-TV (Channel 5), NECN, WHDH-TV (Channel 7), WBUR-FM (90.9), and Bloomberg Radio, and live-streamed on BostonGlobe.com and Boston.com.
The debate represented what could be the last chance for Warren, a Democrat and Harvard Law School professor, and Brown, a Republican, to speak directly to voters, one week before polls open in the nation’s most hotly contested and most costly Senate race.