Coming Home | Kaiser Chiefs Listen Live

Do open houses sell houses?

Posted by Binyamin Appelbaum  March 26, 2008 04:03 PM

open-house-illustration.jpg

'Tis the season for open houses. But what if open houses are a waste of time?

I think many sellers see an open house as a sign that their real estate agent is trying. So they want an open house, or two, or three. The irony is that many real estate agents say they mostly hold open houses to convince the seller that they are trying. It seems to be fairly common wisdom in the real estate industry that open houses don't sell houses. The rule: Serious shoppers make appointments.

There's another thing sellers should know: Agents aren't just agreeing to hold open houses as a form of appeasement. An open house is a wonderful place to find new clients -- people looking for a new home, and those thinking about selling.

This is not necessarily good for you, the seller. Imagine a potential buyer walks into your kitchen. They want to buy a home, but they're not sure this is the right one. 'No problem!' says the agent. 'I've got another five homes similar to this one. Maybe you'll like one of those better.'

An extreme example of this is an agent in Phoenix who posted on a discussion site that he likes to hold open houses in empty homes where he hangs on the walls pictures of other houses that he's trying to sell. If you owned that home, how angry would that make you?

Or take the following blog post by entitled, "Is it stupid to hold an open house?"

There are just two valid reasons for an agent to hold an open house and neither of them has much to do with selling the house being held open. Reason 1: find stray (motivated) buyers (those that do not have an agent) and become their agent. Reason 2: meet neighbors who will later want to sell their home.

For buyers, I think the advantage is it lets you see houses on your maybe list without having to make an appointment. Sometimes someone buys something. But not very often. Of course, my editor says he first saw his dream home when he walked into an open house.

So have at it: What's your experience with open houses? Valuable? Or a waste of time?

This blog is not written or edited by Boston.com or the Boston Globe.
The author is solely responsible for the content.

1. I am a broker in Tewksbury and would have to say that open houses are typically a waste of time. They do make the owner feel as though their agent is doing everything possible to sell the house but, never have I sold a property at the open house. Open houses are primarily a fantastic way to find new buyers and for name recognition as an agent. As for the Phoenix agent....shame on him. As a seller I would be furious to find my agent displaying other properties available in my home.

Posted by Kristen McKenna Blanchet March 26, 08 04:32 PM
  1. As a buyer I think open houses are extremely valuable. I have not committed to any buyer's agent and probably won't. As past articles in the Globe have suggested, you can find out just about everything on a home for sale yourself on the internet. So far, I have not needed to make an appointment b/c most homes I am interested in have open houses. And since early March I have seen some hot homes where the open house generated 30 some odd people and there is an offer that next day.
    If I see a home that has been listed for a while and has not had an open house, I wonder-what is wrong with it? If it is newly listed and hasn't had an open house yet, I might consider making an appointment with the seller's agent if no open house comes up on it.

Posted by HappyHome08 March 26, 08 04:40 PM
  1. I have bought 2 homes based on open houses. I don't like agents and don't think they ad much value so I prefer to look on my own and call a agent friend when I am ready to make an offer. I have probably gone to 200 open houses as a way to stay on top of the market and spot value when it pops up.

Still, they are correct. At EVERY SINGLE open house the broker has tried to get me to sign on with them. And with a handful of exceptions they have made no real effort to show me the home. They'd rather quiz me on my budget, who I'm "working with" and what other houses I have considered.

Posted by cupcake March 26, 08 05:14 PM
  1. I think that open houses held for real estate professionals (broker's open house) are more valuable to sellers that open houses for the public.

Posted by GB March 26, 08 05:20 PM
  1. We found our current home through an open house. We spent many weekends checking out open houses and researching online (boston.com and realtor.com). We did have a buyers' agent working for us, but since we know better than anyone else what we want, it was more fruitful to research by ourselves.

I think open houses and the web are absolutely invaluable these days when buying or selling a house. Once we found the house we wanted to put an offer on, we did call in our agent to seal the deal, but only out of loyalty due to the time (however limited) that she did spend on our behalf and because there was no cost to us.

My husband sold his last home by himself, and we will likely sell this house, when the time comes, by ourselves. If you are fairly business savvy and are willing to research the ins and outs of purchasing or selling a home, you can easily do it yourself and save yourself the cost of commission when selling.

Just like the travel industry, which has migrated to a self-service online business (expedia etc.) and away from travel agents, I think the real estate business is moving in the same direction. However, if you aren't comfortable with the business side of things, or don't have the time - then it definitely makes sense to enlist the services of an agent.

Posted by Zekoya March 26, 08 05:22 PM
  1. As a builder and real estate developer I feel that an open house does work to sell your home to a motivated buyer. In the current market we are finding that buyers are not interested in paying a real estate broker a commission. Buying direct saves the buyer money and also benefits the homeowner/builder by selling their home quicker. We find that buyers today have the expertise in finding a good value for their investment.

Posted by Marylee Messina March 26, 08 05:26 PM
  1. As serious buyers we prefer open houses because we aren't using an agent to represent us. When we make appointments there is always that akward moment (kind of like the end of a first date) where the listing agent insists on contacting us about other properties they know about and so on. At an open house I don't get that.

Most of the time, when I call a listing agent to make an appointment, they want to go on and on about how we should use them as our agent. They have no idea how unprofessional this make them look. If I were to use a buyer's agent I would want a BUYER"S agent. If an agent doesn't seem to listen when I say I am not interested, why would they listen if a had them represent me?

Just because it isn't an open house doesn't mean the agent isn't selling themselves over the seller. I can't tell you how many times I have heard an agent say " I know of a much better property if you don't like this one."

Posted by just me March 26, 08 05:30 PM
  1. Open Houses ABSOLUTELY help to sell house. I've bought my thru OHs and have friends/family that have done the same. I'm surprised to see that Realtors don't think they're effective...perhaps because they need to pay for the ads that drive people to them? I find it very difficult to believe that they don't work.

Posted by CG March 26, 08 05:33 PM
  1. As a seller, I hate the idea that a group of people will go trampling through my house and possibly stealing/breaking things. In an open house, there's no way a broker can keep track of where everyone is and what they're doing. Of course, it could still happen in an appointment, but it's a lot less likely.
    However, you can get lucky at an open house. The last place I owned sold at a very good price (back in July of 2005) because 3 interested parties all happened to show up at the same time and inadvertently forced each other into a bidding war for my place. That being said, I will not have an open house when I sell my current home. In fact, I might even try to sell it on my own without a broker.
    As a home buyer, an open house is a convenient noncommittal way to see if you have any interest in a house at all.

Posted by Matt March 26, 08 05:34 PM
  1. I find open houses very helpful, as they allow me to see other comps in the neighborhood (South End) on my own, without having to enlist the services of a buyer's agent who doesn't know exactly what I am looking for and wants to rush me into a quick sale. The trick is to make an offer early on a house that you truly love, so you avoid the heartbreak that could come with losing it. All it takes is that one perfect buyer to walk into a house and fall in love... I don't believe in all of this speculation that the market will continue to drop either. From what I have seen in Boston over the past few months is that the time to buy is now!

Posted by Michelle March 26, 08 05:35 PM
  1. Open houses create activity and activity creates action. I have no problem with public and broker open houses and as a seller I have sold two homes that way. When you sign on with a good agent you agree to have that agent perform to the best of their ability and put together a marketing program as they see fit.

Aggressively soliciting buyers and sellers and an agent conducting an open house can, in some cases, be unethical and should be done with care. Best advice, work with good people that you trust.

Posted by GMC March 26, 08 05:43 PM
  1. It's a great way for thieves to rob you. We sold our house ourselves a few years ago. During an open house my husband found a woman going through a box of my jewlery. Luckily it was just junk stuff and I didn't have any valuables in our house at the time because I was worried someone might try to steal from us. We called the police and they took her away. We never found out what happened to her after that. She had several flyers for open houses in her car.

Posted by Theresa March 26, 08 06:22 PM
  1. I like open houses. It gives me the opportunity to "window shop", to see what's out there in the market for our current budget, to get ideas on how to sell my house if I find a good one, all without the hassle of dealing with a pushy real estate agent who will call me every day for the next six months to try to push that house. We recently found an awesome house that we seriously considered buying, and it looked so much better "in person" than on the web with the lousy pictures the agent took. I never would have gone as far as to make an appointment to see it, but I saw there was an open house and went to check it out.

Posted by bluidshay March 26, 08 06:33 PM
  1. We were out looking at apartments for rent and came across an open house in the same area. We put an offer in on the house that night and have happily lived in it for more than 12 years.

Posted by Eileen March 26, 08 06:46 PM
  1. I think in the city, open houses can be of some use. In the suburbs, not sure it makes sense.

In the city, you can see a bunch of condos in a single Sunday afternoon; you might not like what you see, that day, but you can get up to speed and see what's out there. A great way to educate yourself.

You know, I was originally going to say that open houses are useless ... then I remembered, we went to an open house, two years ago, and walked out saying, "this is the one", and had an offer written up within an hour. And we bought it!

Posted by J Kringle March 26, 08 06:57 PM
  1. As a real estate agent, open houses are effective so long as the house is priced correctly. Educated buyers who are in the market recognize when a property is priced right, so chances are the open house will have some activity. Another key is not to "overkill" the property. 1 open house per month is more then enough. And to agree with one point - all RE agents look to turn perspecive buyers into clients at open houses, private showings, etc (we are trained to do that), so all you who think this tactic is unprofessional, get over yourself!

Posted by Northshore Realtor March 26, 08 07:02 PM
  1. I bought my first place after an open house, and much later put in an offer at another one.

I agree that they are really helpful to buyers in the age of the Internet. I can walk in and walk out without let or hindrance.

But as soon as you call an agent for a personal appointment, the whole pack starts circling you for the kill. Your agent, and the sellers', immediately start phoning up likely victims warning darkly that "there's a lot of interest in this property," trying to gin up a bidding war. Suddenly, instead of shopping, you're in full-on defense mode, trying to bat away a barrage of arguments why you can't let this one go.

For buyers like me, that's a turnoff. I usually say forget it the instant pressure is applied.

Open houses are the only way to go. If you don't have one, I'm not buying your place.

Posted by Marcus March 26, 08 07:19 PM
  1. @ Northshore Realtor. I don't have to think it's unethical to dislike it, and to consider it when (if) choosing an agent. As a buyer, it turns me off to be hard sold on something different when I came to see the property where I'm standing. When you're shortchanging your current client's property right in my presence, denigrating it by comparison or not paying attention to showing the details or to who else might be walking through, why would I think you'll be any more careful or attentive or on my side when I'M your client?

I like open houses, because agents can get impatient with appointments and rush me through when I might like to know more. The house I'm living in now is one we bought after seeing it the first day it was on the market and having its open house. We did end up in competition with two other parties who also saw it that day. I don't know what having a lot of open houses would accomplish, but I think you ought to have at least one, and others at long intervals if need be.

Posted by CT March 26, 08 07:33 PM
  1. An Open House doesn't necessarily help to sell the particular house being shown. HOWEVER... Having neighbors and whoever else tour the house is always good for "word of mouth" advertising, especially since neighbors are the most likely to talk up the neighborhood to friends / family / coworkers / whoever. Everybody knows somebody who's looking to move... And having the ability to tour a large number of homes helps to educate buyers and sellers as to the CURRENT state of the market.
    The market is constantly churning / changing, and both parties are typically uneducated about the market specifics prior to buying or selling. It's also helpful for buyers / sellers to chat with 10-20 brokers to guage opinions on the market and new info that they might not otherwise have.

So in a sense it can seem like a waste or a useless formality, but it's still very much necessary and helpful overall.

Posted by MikeySays March 26, 08 08:30 PM
  1. I can see an agent trying to further their business but the majority of them are very tactless.

The only time I ever saw an agent do it with respect to anyone was when we were sent a card letting us know they were available if we needed it. They weren't taking the focus off of what they were doing but they still managed to court potential clients.

I would think a decent person, agent or not, should have tact and be a little less abbrasive in their quest for clients.

Posted by just me March 26, 08 08:32 PM
  1. WHY BROKERS WANT YOU TO SIGN THE "ATTENDANCE SHEET:" Listing agents are required to be accountable to the seller as to who has walked through the house and why they walked through. Even if you're just window shopping, it's incredibly rude to put down inaccurate or fake information. Put yourself in the sellers shoes: Wouldn't you want to know that your broker is making the most of the situation? And yes brokers do use the "sign-in sheet" for further marketing, but if you're not interested just be flat out honest and tell them you have another broker.

FOR PEOPLE WEARY OF GIVING OUT PHONE NUMBERS: Get a $2-$12 /mo VM account and just leave the VM number. You can check your messages once / week or as much as you want, and that way brokers won't have your cell number.

Posted by MikeySays March 26, 08 08:33 PM
  1. I live in San Antonio and when I was interviewing agents I asked about open houses, one agent replied that she never does them. I asked why- her response is that open houses only sell about 5% of the house, and therefor wasnt worth it.

I immediately shot back, I am not willing to exclude 5% of the buyers for my home. Thank you, goodbye,

Posted by Jim Vancini March 26, 08 08:53 PM
  1. We used open houses to help us hone our preferences in an efficient manner. As a newly married couple we could see 5-6 homes on a Sunday, talk about the pros and cons, and begin to understand what would work for both of us. Those weeks of attending open houses were essential to allowing us to actually make an offer once we found a house that worked.

Posted by Judy March 26, 08 08:58 PM
  1. Open Houses are just one of many tools a good agent will use. Use every club in the bag !

Posted by Tom M. / Cape Cod March 26, 08 09:08 PM
  1. My wife and I purchased our condo in South End in 2004 after visiting it at two separate open houses.

Posted by Richard March 26, 08 09:10 PM
  1. When I bought my house in 1998, all three offers (including mine) came in immediately after the open house. It was clearly useful then.

I probably ruled out 20 houses that looked ok on paper after going to their open houses. Sure, those open houses didn't sell their houses to me. But they saved the agent from having to show the house to me separately. Would you rather have the agent schedule 50 separate showings or hold a couple of open houses? Because selling your house does include showing it somehow to a lot of potential buyers who won't buy the house, and you might as well make that process efficient.

Posted by Michael March 26, 08 10:06 PM
  1. Four simple rules of selling and buying real estate:

1. TRUST NO ONE (there is no such thing as a buyer's market this side of 495)

2. TRUST NO ONE (agents know only about staging houses, making offers/counter-offers and playing the negotiation game until the P&S is signed, beyond that consult a professional in the field - i.e., mortgage brokers and RE lawyers)

3. TRUST NO ONE (a price drop from the original asking price is NOT a true reduction in price - only a correction to an overly optimistic estimate of the house's market value.)

4. TRUST NO ONE (The ONLY thing that will sell your house is the RIGHT PRICE).

Posted by TRNK March 26, 08 10:47 PM
  1. I just bought my first house (I close in April) and found it becuase I drove by an Open House sign 2 weekends ago and went in. I have a realtor, but because of all the online tools and resources out there, only really needed him to extend the offer. Anyway, I love OH's and whatever realtor says they are a waste of time is ridiculous. They are certainly not aware of the next generation that does not need hand-holding through the process.

Posted by Carol March 27, 08 06:55 AM
  1. I had an open house the day after my home was listed and got an offer a day later at very close to the asking price. This was three weeks ago. Granted we didn't get much traffic and we lucked out that the right buyer came through the door but the point is, they are not always a waste of time. There were 11 other units in my condo complex for sale, most at less than mine, and I think the fact that it was easy for the buyer to stop by and see it made the difference.

Posted by Cicily March 27, 08 07:11 AM
  1. I find, as a buyer open houses very helpful. Also, as a prospective seller and for helping friends and family buy, they are also useful. Many years ago, when I sold my first house, the buyers found the house through an open house (they then came back with their broker). That worked out well.
    Where we live in western MA these days, open houses are very very very rare. This really adversely impacted our house search. I found it difficult to schedule my time with the broker's time AND the seller's schedule (seller's all required notice, the cat was sick, whatever reason so that we couldn't see their house). The very few open houses that were held helped us narrow things down with out hassle of schedule. Would be really ticked off at that broker (pix on wall) if it was my house.

Posted by Janice G. March 27, 08 08:03 AM
  1. Open houses are a great way to get feed back on price and condition of the listing.Brokers that don't do open houses are remiss in their duty to the seller. The broker should focus only on the house they are representing at the time. It also groups the buyers in a time slot not to inconvience the seller all weekend, with multiple showings.

Posted by JimMac March 27, 08 09:00 AM
  1. I went to an open house because I wanted to see what the house looked like inside. I wasn't in the market at the time. A year later, when I was ready, I knew the house hadn't sold and was not currently on the market. I asked my realtor to see if they were still interested in selling. They were and we bought it. So maybe open houses are good for information purposes.

Posted by Becky March 27, 08 09:51 AM
  1. We purchased our current home based on an open house. In fact, we weren't even looking to buy yet. We were taking a walk through our neighborhood, saw an open house sign and said, "Wouldn't it be fun to just go in?" We fell in love with the home and put in an offer!

Posted by NewHomeowners March 27, 08 10:22 AM
  1. Personally, I love open houses, but not for the purpose of buying a house. It's neighborhood entertainment to see the house of the neighbor you never new.

I've never attended an open house while in the process of searching for a house to buy. We simply scheduled appointments and toured 4, 5 or 6 houses in each trip with an agent.

Posted by Jerry S March 27, 08 11:52 AM
  1. Open houses work well in certain areas and not so well in others. I think homes in towns closer to Boston do well with open houses.

As for using a buyer's agent, why wouldn't you? If the seller has an agent, and most do, why shouldn't you? Seeing properties with a listing agent is not going to work in your best interests if you want to make an offer on that property. The listing agent has a contract of loyalty and complete disclosure to the seller and not to you, the buyer. How is that good for you?

I think buyer agency is a great idea.

Posted by Polly Esster March 27, 08 05:03 PM
  1. Polly,

Any time money changes hands people always find reasons why they feel they should be involved most of it is of course to get paid..

I can buy clothes, groceries, cars, stocks and more, all with out any one helping me.

I can see where some one who isn't confident in their choices would need an agent, but I feel pretty empowered.

This is not my first time at the rodeo. If I were new to the game I most likely would use one but I see no need to put more people into the mix than need be. We are very happy with our RE attorney.

Posted by just me March 27, 08 09:22 PM
  1. Zekoya (#5): "Once we found the house we wanted to put an offer on, we did call in our agent to seal the deal, but only out of loyalty due to the time (however limited) that she did spend on our behalf and because there was no cost to us."

How can this buyer say there was no cost to them for using a buyer's agent? I am a potential buyer and am purposely avoiding using a buyer's agent so that I can get the price dropped by the 2-3% commission allotted for the buyer's agent. I realize this is not for everyone, but if I can find the property online, get the seller's agent to show the house, and do the negotiation, why pay a buyer's agent?

Am I way off here?

Posted by Eric H March 28, 08 07:18 PM
  1. Just Me,

You are paying a RE attorney who probably hasn't even seen the house you are buying or the knowledge to help you know what to offer? Even if it's not your "first rodeo" why would you skip using the services provided by a buyer's agent who has vast market knowledge and experiance from working it on a full-time basis, at no additonal cost to yourself?

Besides helping you through the transaction, a good buyer's agent knows what are looking for, will watch for any new listings that fit your criteria making sure you are among the first to see it, will know when the market has slipped a little and it's the right time to offer less or in a hot market how to get your offer accepted before multiple offers are submitted creating a price war you could have avoided.

A good buyer's agent can be the most important part of the mix when purchasing a home.

Posted by Kim March 28, 08 09:43 PM
  1. Unless you are buying a for sale by owner , all your doing by not using a buyer's agent is putting more money in the listing / seller's agent pocket. When a home is listed and put on the MLS , the seller has agreed to a pay a 5-7 percent commission . If you do not use a buyers agent , the listing agent gets the full commission . You are not saving any money , and are working with an agent that already has a relationship with the seller .

Posted by learned March 29, 08 01:37 PM
  1. "Just me," glad you posted that about shopping. I'm a first-time buyer, and after taking a class and talking to people in the business, I am of the mind that a buyer's agent adds MUCH less value than a RE attorney. There is just so much information available to savvy internet searchers. If you are comfortable with business negotiations, why pay yet another person?

As a first-time buyer, I definitely think open houses are valuable:

-My partner and I can browse and talk about what we both value/dislike about properties.
    -You can begin your search before you "get serious," and falling in love with a place may push you to get serious more quickly. I already fell in love with one condo and my future open house searches will be comparison-shopping as I keep an eye on that listing.
    -You can select the listings yourself instead of the agent dragging you to a bunch of houses out of your price and taste range (I saw this happen to my parents with several agents, they eventually bought a house FSBO).
    -Within the city, you can make a day of it - get lunch, look at several condos, walk or T home and talk about it. Yes, you could do that with an agent, but not on a Sunday-morning whim.

Oh, and to the Northshore Realtor, who said "all RE agents look to turn perspecive [sic] buyers into clients at open houses, private showings, etc..." I might wager that the next generation of buyers (late 20s/ 30s) is less receptive to this tactic. We are used to gathering information on our own, and to sharing knowledge with our peers. We have never used travel agents. Many of us won't use buyer's agents, either.

Posted by JR March 29, 08 05:04 PM
  1. As a real estate agent (barely, because the market is so bad), I think that open houses are usually a waste of time. All you get are tire kickers and nosy neighbors who just want to see what their neighbor's house looks like on the inside. This forum has a lot of people blogging about how terrible real estate agents are. It's true, there are some dishonest ones but in reality we have very strict rules and guidelines to practice by and there are serious penalties for violations. People who complain about agents bothering them by calling all the time have no idea why. We are just trying to make a living like everybody else, and "bothering" you is part of the job. We have bills to pay and families to support too, you know. Personally, I don't like to "bother" people, but not calling doesn't work either. I am
    tired of wasting my time with "buyers" who lie to me about their ability to purchase and don't tell me they are working with another agent too, even after I ASK if they
    are working with someone else! I am also tired of working with sellers who insist
    on overpricing their home after I show them the negative effects of overpricing. And of course when the house doesn't sell it's MY fault and they badmouth me to everyone they know, all because I told the truth!! The next time you decide to pick on a real estate agent because you are convinced that we are all crooks, try to stop and think that maybe this person has feelings. Maybe the agent actually
    does know what they are talking about when they tell you that your house isn't worth a million dollars in the current market. Any house that is priced right will sell,
    whether there is an open house or not!

Posted by Paula/ New York March 30, 08 08:00 AM
  1. People speak of it possibly being unethical to hold open houses. How would anyone come to that conclusion? Open Houses are an invaluable way for a REALTOR to meet new clients. Is there something wrong with trying to promote yourself and your business these days? Most REALTORS (with some exceptions) are honest and want to help you find what you want. As long as the REALTOR is doing what he/she told their seller they would do how in the world is that unethical? Is WALMART sending out flyers promoting their prices and products unethical? Is a new store just opening up and having a grand opening day unethical? NO, it is to get the customers into the store to see the product and to overwhelm them with kindness so they feel warm and fuzzy inside. I can't see anything wrong with that. The world unethical does in no way apply to an open
    house. This is business 101. C'mon people, get over it!! REALTORS have families and they like to eat just like you. Some of the best people I have ever known are fellow REALTORS.

Posted by Dennis M. March 30, 08 09:03 AM
  1. I just don't get it. Why do RE Agents keep on saying Open House is a waste of time? Is it because they don't get paid for the 2-hour spent on the open house? Why do they have to care whether tire kickers or nosy neighbors come in the open house? It's open house for a reason. They should put signs reading "buyers with pre-approval are allowed".

Posted by ni March 31, 08 03:12 PM
  1. With gas at almost $4 a gallon, I'm going to drive around going to open houses? Why bother?

I use the web to eliminate properties and find those that I want to tour. Why not? Good photos, virtual tours give me a good idea if it's worth my time - THEN I will set up a time to view the home at MY convenience with an agent.

Posted by Pauline April 1, 08 10:45 AM
  1. Gasoline (premium 93 octane) in Massachusetts is not $4/Gallon. It's about $3.45/gallon on 93 premium. Last time I check it's still cheaper than 1 gallon whole milk. Why don't people complain the same thing about whole milk is being $4.19/gallon plus tax?

Posted by ni April 1, 08 01:20 PM
  1. I'm both selling and hoping to buy a home. Since buyers willing to accept contingency offers are rare, I can't really buy until I sell. However, once I sell, I will need to buy in a limited amount of time. It's a Catch 22. I visit open houses as a way to see houses I've been watching on the Internet, without having to involve my agent. I have toured a couple of houses with my agent, but until my house sells, these showings are likely a waste of time. They do, however, help me to become more observant and zero in what I want. I used to think that compartmentalized homes were more cozy, but after visiting some with a more open floor plan, I find I prefer that.

Posted by Amanda June 19, 08 11:28 AM
  1. Open houses are region specific. What works in Washington DC, does not work in Dallas,TX. In a nutshell, open houses work in markets where there is high demand and low supply.

People who are just "tire kicking" like them because they take their time and look, but for the most part they are a waste of time for sellers and agents.

Posted by Grant July 1, 08 08:09 AM
  1. Can anyone answer this question--is it common practice for a real estate agent to have another agent from the company do their open house for them? I just found out by looking at the agent's open house link and was never even told this information.

Posted by diana October 17, 08 03:42 PM
  1. Open Houses are a sheer waste of time - Period - Never sold thru one and the only time that I do them is to appease the seller or if I need to catch some buyers to represent them as an agent

Why do we have the Web.......HELLO

Posted by Alfonso Smith July 17, 09 06:47 PM

About boston real estate now
Scott Van Voorhis is a freelance writer who specializes in real estate and business issues.

Latest interest rates