Here's a look at the top defensive linemen in the city of Boston to keep your eyes on this season:
- Latin Academy senior Brendan Hariette is moving over to the defensive line this season as an end after playing on the offensive line last year. He’s very fast and very strong with quick feet, according to coach Rocco Zizza. Zizza added that he worked very hard this summer.
- Boston English senior defensive lineman Colin Thomson is 5-10, 260 pounds. As captain last year, he was a smart player and great on defense, said English coach Chris Boswell.
- South Boston senior Derron Stone, a defensive end and tight end, is 6-2, 315 pounds. He’s also a basketball player which coach Sean Guthrie believes helps him as a football player. “He’s a really good pass rusher, and a good target. He can get up on the ball like he does on the basketball court.”
- Nick Davis was injured last season but you can expect a big comeback from the Latin Academy sophomore. He’s skilled at playing both sides of the ball, coach Rocco Zizza said.
- Boston English senior Jordan Carter is 5-10 and 200 pounds. He’s in his third year and a captain for the Bulldogs, having played on both sides of the ball while showing good leadership, coach Chris Boswell said.
- Brighton senior TE/DE Prince Unaegbu is a three-year starter and a Division 1 prospect. The 6-5, 225-pound team captain is an anchor for the Bengals. He is coming back from a wrist injury last season and has been in the gym all the summer looking to make up for lost time, said coach Randolph Abraham.
- Brighton sophomore right guard Patroy Thompson is a massive 6-2, 315 pounds and is looking to make an impact on the offensive and defensive lines.
About Boston Public Schools Sports BlogMore »
- Justin A. Rice -- A metro Detroit native, Rice is a Michigan State University (Go Spartans!) and Northeastern University graduate. Rice lives in the South End with his dog and wife, who unfortunately attended the University of Michigan ... his wife, that is. He curates the BPS Sports Blog and is always looking to write about city athletes with great stories. Have an idea? He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeJustinRice or @BPSspts.
- Ryan Butler -- A Rhode Island native and avid Boston sports fan, Butler played basketball, baseball and football throughout his time in Barrington Public Schools. Now currently in his middler year at Northeastern University, he joins Boston.com as a correspondent for the site's BPS coverage. Have a story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on his Twitter @butler_globe.