The “Dream Big! Kathy Dooley Inspiration Grant & Scholarship” is looking for high school female basketball players that meet the following criteria:
- Exhibits extraordinary courage and leadership in her athletic performance
- Values education
- Understands the importance of giving back and serves as an inspiration and role model for others
- From a low income family living in Massachusetts
In the words of her family and friends, Kathy showed all of these characteristics as a player and was compassionate, incredible, strong, loving, ambitious, intelligent, funny, motivating, athletic, kind and courageous every moment until she lost her battle with Leukemia in September 2010.
This Grant and Scholarship Award in the name of Kathy Includes:
- Attendance at an overnight basketball camp in Massachusetts in the summer of 2013.
- Sneakers, Sports Attire and Dream Big! Sports Bag
- Invitation/Recognition at a Dream Big! Event in 2013
To apply a coach or program leader must fill out the Dream Big! Equipment Grant Application at link below and note it is for the “Kathy Dooley Inspiration Grant and Scholarship Award” at: http://www.dream-big.org/content/grants-scholarships
About Boston Public Schools Sports BlogMore »
- Justin A. Rice -- A metro Detroit native, Rice is a Michigan State University (Go Spartans!) and Northeastern University graduate. Rice lives in the South End with his dog and wife, who unfortunately attended the University of Michigan ... his wife, that is. He curates the BPS Sports Blog and is always looking to write about city athletes with great stories. Have an idea? He can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeJustinRice or @BPSspts.
- Ryan Butler -- A Rhode Island native and avid Boston sports fan, Butler played basketball, baseball and football throughout his time in Barrington Public Schools. Now currently in his middler year at Northeastern University, he joins Boston.com as a correspondent for the site's BPS coverage. Have a story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on his Twitter @butler_globe.