NEW YORK -- New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi has been diagnosed with a benign tumor, but is expected to return to the team later this season after undergoing treatment.
The Yankees announced last night that Giambi was placed on the 15-day disabled list and will be treated immediately. The team, citing privacy issues, declined to divulge where the tumor is or what type of treatment Giambi will undergo.
Yankees manager Joe Torre said he didn't believe surgery would be necessary.
"I'm just glad that the news, even though there's something going on, he can be treated and recover completely," Torre said after the Yankees beat Baltimore, 2-1.
Giambi, the 2000 AL MVP, is batting only .221 with 11 home runs and 36 RBIs. He's been feeling fatigued virtually all season, and was diagnosed with an intestinal parasite June 29.
He tried to play through it, but began to feel increasingly weaker.
"He went out there and played and did it basically on courage because he didn't have anything in the tank," said Torre, who underwent surgery for prostate cancer at the start of the 1999 season.
Giambi underwent a battery of tests at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center earlier this week to determine what has ailed him.
"The testing has not revealed the presence of any infectious disease," team physician Dr. Stuart Hershon said in a statement. "The Yankees expect that, with appropriate treatment, he will rejoin the team as soon as possible." "He's obviously happy that he knows what's going on now," general manager Brian Cashman said, adding he didn't have an immediate timetable for Giambi to return. "I am relieved that they found something that is treatable and I look forward to getting well, coming back strong, and helping the Yankees win," Giambi said in a statement.