THIS STORY HAS BEEN FORMATTED FOR EASY PRINTING
Baseball notebook

Versatile Hall headed to Astros

Sox utilityman signs for $3.25m

BILL HALL: Everyday 2B? BILL HALL: Everyday 2B?
Associated Press / December 18, 2010

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Text size +

A person familiar with the deal said that the Houston Astros agreed to a one-year contract yesterday with former Red Sox utilityman Bill Hall worth a guaranteed $3.25 million.

The agreement contains a mutual option for 2012 with a buyout.

Hall is likely to be Houston’s starting second baseman since the Astros acquired shortstop Clint Barmes from the Rockies last month. He hit .247 with 18 homers and 46 RBIs last season for the Red Sox, playing seven positions.

Hall, who turns 31 Dec. 28, is a .250 hitter for his career with 122 homers and 425 RBIs over nine years.

Bartlett, Hudson to SD San Diego added a new double-play combination when they reacquired shortstop Jason Bartlett in a trade with Tampa Bay and closed in on a deal with second baseman Orlando Hudson.

The Padres got Bartlett and a player to be determined from the Rays. Tampa Bay will receive major league relievers Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos, and minor leaguers Brandon Gomes, a righthander, and Cole Figueroa, an infielder.

Two people with knowledge of the deal said agreed to an $11.5 million, two-year contract, pending a physical. He will replace David Eckstein.

Hudson played last season with the AL Central champion Twins, hitting .268 with six homers and 37 RBIs. Prior to that he was with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks, and Blue Jays.

Bartlett was drafted by the Padres in 2001, then traded to Minnesota the following year. His batting average dropped from .320 in 2009 to .254 last season.

Yanks add Feliciano A person familiar with the negotiations said lefthander Pedro Feliciano is moving across town from the New York Mets to the Yankees, reaching a preliminary agreement on an $8 million, two-year contract. The agreement includes a club option for 2013 . . . After declining a $15 million option in October, the Tigers finalized Magglio Ordonez’s $10 million, one-year deal. They’ll hope for a full season from him after he was limited to 84 games in 2010; he broke his right ankle in July. Ordonez has hit .312 with 289 homers and 1,204 RBIs in 14 seasons with the Tigers and the White Sox. He hit .363 in 2007 and finished second in AL MVP voting . . . Japanese batting champion Tsuyoshi Nishioka and the Twins agreed to a $9 million, three-year contract that includes a club option for 2014 . . . Carlos Gomez agreed to a $1.5 million, one-year contract with the Brewers, good for a $400,000 raise. The outfielder also avoided arbitration last year by agreeing to a $1.1 million deal . . . The Diamondbacks agreed to one-year contracts with outfielder Xavier Nady ($1.75 million) and catcher Henry Blanco ($1.25 million).

Wood back with Cubs Kerry Wood and the Cubs have finalized a one-year, $1.5 million contract that sends the righthanded reliever back to the team he started his major league career with in 1998. The 33-year-old Wood left Chicago as a free agent in December 2008, signing with the Indians before he was traded to the Yankees last July. Wood’s career has been plagued by injuries. He missed the 1999 season after elbow ligament replacement surgery and made numerous trips to the DL . . . Free agent reliever Jeremy Accardo and the Orioles agreed to a one-year contract that pays $1.08 million in the major leagues and $300,000 in the minors. Accardo appeared in just five games for the Blue Jays last season, and had a 3.48 ERA in 42 games with their Triple A team.

Bonds eyes player ban Lawyers for Barry Bonds want to bar slugger Jason Giambi and other former pro athletes from testifying at his perjury trial scheduled to begin March 21. Bonds’s lawyers filed papers in federal court late yesterday asking US District Court Judge Susan Illston to prohibit the athletes’ testimony and other key evidence they say is tied to Bonds’s personal trainer, Greg Anderson. Illston already has ruled off-limits any evidence connected to Anderson because of his refusal to testify. The former players they are hoping to exclude from the trial are Marvin Benard, Jeremy Giambi, Armando Rios, Benito Santiago, Randy Velarde, and retired football player Larry Izzo.

Red Sox Video

Follow our Twitter feeds