David Ortiz plans to sit down with Red Sox doctors and officials Monday to discuss the rest of the season. Ortiz, who returned to the lineup Friday after missing 35 games with a strained right Achilles’ tendon, but sat out again Saturday and Sunday, said options include being shut down for the rest of the year, going back on the DL, or resting and playing when he can.
“I don’t know yet,” Ortiz said as he left Fenway Park after Sunday’s 8-6 win over the Royals. “It’s something we’re all going to get together to talk about everything, the treatment going forward and all that stuff. It feels the same today, sore. We’ll see how it is tomorrow. I would love nothing more than to go out there and play, but I have to be smart about it. I want to play here next year, and for a long time to come. So, we have to make the smart decision.”
While the Sox have said they want Ortiz to return next season, the injury could affect his ability to secure a desired two-year contract.
Ortiz has had daily discussions with the team and training staff about what he can and cannot do. The Sox have been trying to get to where he can at least play every other day.
“I discussed with Ben [Cherington, general manager] some of the possibilities, and I haven’t talked to David yet but tomorrow we’ll figure out where we’re going with that,’’ said manager Bobby Valentine. “It’s likely if he doesn’t have a real miraculous recovery tonight, we’ll have a DL situation tomorrow.”
Ortiz went 2 for 4 with two RBIs Friday night. In his second at-bat, Ortiz doubled and felt some discomfort in his heel as he rounded first base.
Asked if the team had reached a point where it had to weigh the risks of continuing to allow Ortiz to play or to shut him down for the season, Valentine replied, “We’re probably there. We’re just going to give it a couple of days to see. He said the practice and game is just that little difference in adrenaline that differentiates it.
“When he hit the double and he turned it, he turned to second, he said it was uncomfortable, where he was comfortable doing those things in practice. We’re definitely not going to do anything to jeopardize David’s career.
“David totally wants to do everything he can to be a part of this team for this year and for the future, so that’s what we’re dealing with. I know that David wants to be with this team and be a major contributor. I don’t know if he went on the DL if he would come back. I’m not sure about the treatment involved.”
Throwing a fit
three-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team came, according to a team source, as a result of him taking off his jersey and throwing it against the bullpen wall after he was bypassed when it came time to close Friday night’s game. Aceves also had a heated exchange with Valentine after the game and stormed out of the manager’s office.
According to a team source, Aceves’s suspension is without pay. He will serve the final game Monday and is scheduled to be with the team in Anaheim, Calif., on Tuesday.
Waiting to hear
The Sox should know by Monday whether there were claims made on
Jacoby Ellsbury or Jon Lester, who were placed on trade waivers Friday . . . Valentine said outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin, who had been called up Saturday from Triple A Pawtucket along with shortstop Jose Iglesias and righthander Junichi Tazawa after the team completed the blockbuster nine-player trade with the Dodgers, was sent back down on Sunday to make room for righthander Pedro Beato,
who was insurance for a taxed bullpen. “It was exciting to get out there for a new team,” said Beato, who got the win despite giving up two earned runs on three hits in two innings. “I’m just happy our guys picked us up.” . . . The Sox are 25-16 against lefthanded starters, best in the American League . . . With Beato and first baseman James Loney
making their debuts, the Sox have used 52 players this season, three more than in 2011.Michael Vega of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Nick Cafardo can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @nickcafardo.