Sections
Shortcuts
Sports

Year later, Larry Lucchino has reasons to be satisfied

This is a summary. To read the whole story subscribe to BostonGlobe.com

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Red Sox ownership completed its three-day media blitz at JetBlue Park Friday with Larry Lucchino playing the role of closer.

Asked about his Yankee enemies, Larry said “I can’t say I wish them well.’’ He also playfully suggested that 79-year-old Bud Selig is not really going to retire, admitted baseball needs to speed up its games, and expressed delight with Jon Lester’s willingness to take a hometown discount.

It was the complete opposite of Lucchino’s introductory press conference last year,

when Lucchino faced the firing squad that assembled in Fort Myers to demand an explanation for the Red Sox worst season in 47 years. Never smiling, Lucchino said, “we sense the frustration fans feel . . . maybe to everybody we have something to prove . . . We’re just scrappy underdogs trying to win for our franchise and fans.’’

We all know what happened. The Sox won beyond everyone’s imagination.

Full story for BostonGlobe.com subscribers.

Get the full story with unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com.

Just 99 cents for four weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts

Share