< Back to front page Text size +

Report: Timlin coming back

Posted by David Lefort, Boston.com Staff  October 28, 2005 09:54 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

It appears Theo Epsteinís expected deal (which could be announced as soon as today) wonít be the first one struck by the Red Sox this offseason.

According to the Providence Journalís Sean McAdam, the team reached a tentative agreement to retain relief pitcher Mike Timlin yesterday.

McAdam reported that Timlin, who set a club record with 81 appearances last year as a setup man and then as a closer, will receive a one-year deal. He made $2.75 million in 2005. According to McAdam, the deal will become official early next week, when Timlin undergoes a physical.

A few days ago, the Boston Globe reported that Timlin, who will be 40 years old in March, contacted Epstein last week in an effort to start talks about a new deal to keep him in Boston. The two exchanged voice-mails, but hadnít talked as of a few days ago, Timlin said.

''I just want to be able to do this and get this done," Timlin told the Globe at the time. ''I'm not going to say I need two years. We'll do what we can to re-sign with Boston."

Timlin also recently broke ties with his agent and is representing himself.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category