It looks like Moore is less in terms of the Red Sox choices in the GM department.
Red Sox CEO Larry Lucchino was at a Children's Hospital fundraiser tonight and spoke with Boston's Fox25 News on Dayton Moore and the Red Sox general manager search. "He's a real evaluator, a scout's scout," Lucchino said regarding Moore, Atlanta's assistant general manager who was considered a front-runner for the Sox GM post. "The Braves realized what they have... he won't be available to us."
On the GM interviews, Lucchino said they will not be "going into that second stage yet, we have the interruption of the ownersí meetings in Milwaukee for the next couple of days, but weíll keep moving forward after this Wednesday-Thursday break."
"Iím eager I would say to resolve it (the GM situation)," said Lucchino. "But as Iíve said before, weíre able to continue moving along and I think itís important that by the winter meetings in December that we have this issue resolved."
Regarding Buster Olney's ESPN.com report that Theo Epstein had contacted the Red Sox regarding a possible return, Lucchino said "No, first up Iím gonna have no comment on that matter, I donít think thatísÖ I just have no comment on that matter."
Rob Bradford, baseball writer for the Eagle-Tribune newspaper, reported on Tuesday that Moore had withdrawn his name from consideration, according to a major league baseball source.
Moore interviewed with Lucchino last Wednesday at the GM meetings in Indian Wells, Calif. and it had been reported that he would have a second interview in Boston this week.
Moore becomes the third GM candidate to withdraw from the interview process, following Toronto Blue Jays director of player personnel Tony LaCava and Cleveland Indians assistant GM Chris Antonetti, who both declined an opportunity to interview for the position.
Bradford called into sports radio WEEI this afternoon and offered his thoughts on why Moore dropped out of the running at this time. "With Moore (dropping out), I think itís just a case of (Braves GM John) Schuerholz bombarding him the last few days," said Bradford. "And Schuerholz is 65-years-old and I donít know how much longer heís going to stick around, and like the source said, even before this all happened, he said ĎListen, Schuerholz is known for putting on the sales job on guys who he wants to keep.í If he doesnít want him, heíll let him go, but guys he wants to keep, itís hard to leave John Schuerholz, so I think thatís the primary reason in this case."
"Certainly, when Dayton Moore is looking at the places he could end up workingÖ ĎDo I want to work for an organization that I helped build, under a guy that I really liked?í" Bradford said. "And then heís going to leave and Iím going to take over, or am I going to go into this situation that by all accounts is kind of a mess right now?"
"Certainly thereís this great unknown about the Lucchino factor in this all and it was interesting," said Bradford. "I heard you guys talking about the Buster Olney story earlier and that Theo wants to come back and we donít know if thatís true or not but I think youíre going to be seeing more and more of the opposite angle. Weíre waiting for the other side to come out, now youíre starting to see it, maybe the Red Sox taking their point of view of things and because theyíve gotta have some kind of defense in this whole thing, because the fact of the matter is itís been a one-sided thing since Theo left about how this organization is to work for and youíre talking to people around the game and you do hear it ĎWhy would anyone want to go into that?í And Iím not just saying that, this is what peopleÖ (itís) their first words out of their mouth."
"Itís probably not a good time to tell Wayne Krivsky heís not in the running anymore," said Bradford about the Minnesota Twins assistant GM and a Connecticut native, who was told he is no longer under consideration for the job.
The Globe's Nick Cafardo also wrote about the candidacy of Moore in Sunday's baseball notes column:
"Atlanta assistant general manager Dayton Moore's candidacy for the Red Sox' position could be picking up speed after a very impressive interview last week, according to sources familiar with the interview.
"Moore, 38, said he's declined opportunities to interview for GM jobs the past two years, but felt the Boston job was 'very special.'
"He seems to have the right mix of what the Sox are seeking -- someone who has coached and managed the game as well as scouted. One thing that came up at the interview was the use of statistical data.
"'We use statistics to support our evaluations of a player or we use statistics as a reason to go out and look at a player,' Moore said. 'We certainly use stats; I'm not sure what the Red Sox use or whether they have any double-secret stuff. But we certainly want to build our teams on a lineup that gets on base and scores runs and hits for power.
'''For us, chemistry in the front office and chemistry in our clubhouse is very important.'
"Moore, a Wichita, Kan., native, has no ties to Boston. He has hesitated to leave Atlanta because of the superb farm system he helped build there.
'''We had a lot of kids come up this year and we have more coming,' he said. 'We're not done.'
'''My philosophy is you should have three or four kids a year competing with your 25-man roster every season. If you don't have that, I think you're going to run into trouble as an organization.'"
With Moore's withdrawal, that leaves the Red Sox with Jim Beattie and Jim Bowden as the only two candidates who have both interviewed and remain in consideration for the GM job. Larry Lucchino said yesterday, however, that requests made by the Sox to interview two additional external candidates are pending. Lucchino did not reveal the names of those candidates.