< Back to front page Text size +

Boras: Sox haven't begun Varitek talks

Posted by Chad Finn, Globe Staff  November 24, 2008 01:21 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Scott Boras, the representative for free agent Jason Varitek, told the Globe's Nick Cafardo this afternoon that the Red Sox have not begun any negotiations with the 36-year-old catcher.

Boras also said he knows nothing of a reported one-year offer made by the ballclub to Varitek.

WEEI.com reported earlier today that the "Red Sox' initial contract offer to . . . Varitek this offseason was for one year," and that the proposal did not approach the annual salary of Yankees catcher Jorge Posada, who signed a four-year, $52.4 million deal last offseason.

Boras cited Posada's contract as a possible benchmark for Varitek at the general managers' meetings earlier this month.

Varitek, who has been with the Red Sox since 1997, batted .220 with 13 homers and 43 RBIs in 2008.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category