LAS VEGAS -- A few things heard while walking through the Bellagio Hotel early this morning . . .
1. The Red Sox are one of a few teams mentioned by agent Tom O'Connell as interested parties for free agent righthander Carl Pavano, a former Boston farmhand. Florida seems to be the favorite. The Yankees are also in it.
2. Milton Bradley is in intense discussions with the Cubs.
3. The Tigers are looking at Kerry Wood on a two-year deal.
4. The Mets were closing in on a three-year deal for closer Francisco Rodriguez.
5. The Dodgers are about to sign third baseman Casey Blake and former Red Sox second baseman Mark Loretta.
6. The Dodgers did at one time have interest in Jason Varitek.
7. The Brewers may not bring Gabe Kapler back because they need a lefthanded hitter.
8. Talks again were heating up between the Padres and Cubs on Jake Peavy.
9. Saw Mike Pagliarulo, Ellis Burks, Lou Merloni, Mike Easler, and Brian Daubach.
10, One Phillies official denies that the club has a three-year offer prepared for Derek Lowe, while another major league source says Lowe likes the Phillies as a possible destination.
11. The Red Sox have interest in free agent righty Brad Penny.
12. Agent Alan Hendricks said the Dodgers' interest in Andy Pettitte is real because of Joe Torre, who managed Pettitte for years in New York. Hendricks also says that client Roger Clemens is trying to keep a low profile.
13. If the Cubs obtain Peavy, then Jason Marquis or Rich Harden will become trade bait.
14. Jim Leyland has grown a winter beard.
15. Rafael Furcal is talking to Toronto.