MINNEAPOLIS -- What else can you say but that the Twins hit a home run with this ballpark. Nice atmosphere; almost Jacobs Field-like. Really small footprint, which gives it a cozy feel. And lots of Twins memorabilia and celebration of their past players.
Took the light rail to the ballpark, which you can pick up downtown. The weather issue? So far, none. May have some showers later, but Sox players really liked the visiting clubhouse and its amenities. Very spacious for a visiting clubhouse.
And while it looks like a hitters park, the Twins' home-field advantage is likely gone until they prove they can dominate at Target like they did the Metrodome.
Terry Francona reminisced about coming to the old Met in Bloomington at age 11, when his father played. Francona was a big Harmon Killebrew fan and hoped to see him today.
On to other news:
1. Still no talks on Victor Martinez. It was thought the Sox might try to engage in discussions with their top offensive free-agent-to-be after getting Josh Beckett done. But so far nothing. Martinez, hitting .231 with one homer and four RBIs, is back behind the dish.
2. Jacoby Ellsbury probably needs a couple more games off, according to Francona, but the outfielder said he could be ready as early as Wednesday. Now that's an optimistic viewpoint since Ellsbury said there wasn't much difference between how he felt after his collision with Adrian Beltre Sunday in KC and now. Ellsbury, who took a knee in the ribcage and back, is sore in his left pectoral area. Ellsbury said he wants to make sure he's completely OK before going back out on the field. He said say he felt "better than I expected."
3. David Ortiz was chatting with some reporters, mostly Minneapolis-based media concerning the new ballpark. Ortiz is back in there today after a horrendous four-strikeout game.
4. J.D. Drew's stiff neck is fine and he is playing right field.
5. Francona expects a pitcher or two to do a side session during the off day Tuesday but did not yet have a schedule.
6. Bud Selig is addressing the media shortly.