< Back to front page Text size +

Ask Amalie: Who is the Red Sox' MVP so far?

Posted by Amalie Benjamin  June 29, 2010 11:00 AM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Mac from Tallahassee, Fla., asks: Please tell me there is at least one major league team that does not do the juvenile pie-in-the-face foolishness. Perhaps the Red Sox, led by Captain Varitek?
Answer: You are right that the Red Sox don't do the pie-in-the-face trick after walk-off wins, and haven't for quite a while. They did, however, have a pie fascination in 2004, when the team was a little looser, when they had the likes of Johnny Damon and Kevin Millar. The Sox haven't taken on the tradition since, as they've been changed into a more "professional" team by general manager Theo Epstein.

Bill from Berlin, N.H., asks: Do you know if the Sox are leaning to try and sign Beltre to a long term contract? One would think that he also would realize that hitting in Fenway and playing for a winner has benefited his career and would be agreeable to staying.
Answer: Given Adrian Beltre's agent, this will be an interesting case. Beltre, who has played even better than the Red Sox could have expected, is on pace for 657 plate appearances. He needs 640 plate appearances to bring his 2011 option from $5 million to $10 million, which would be a nice payout. But with Scott Boras on his side, I would guess that Beltre would test the free agent market. He certainly has done very well at Fenway Park, a place that we all knew was going to be far better for his swing than Safeco Field. The Red Sox could be in the mix for Beltre long-term, as they'll need a first or third baseman next year, but it could also very easily be a one-and-done situation for them, given how much Beltre could command on the open market. If he continues to play this way, he could certain get something in the $12-13 million per year range. My early guess is that he's with another team in 2011.

Ed Baker from Power Springs, Ga., asks: What is the status of Jason Place with Portland? I notice he is not on the active roster and does not appear to be on the DL. Thanks.

Answer: According to director of player personnel Mike Hazen, Jason Place is currently in Fort Myers, Fla., getting into game shape. Place left the Sea Dogs for personal reasons, which Hazen didn't want to disclose, and has not played since May 12. By way of background, Place was a first-round pick in 2006 out of Wren High School in Piedmont, South Carolina. But he has yet to reach his potential over his three years in the minors with the Sox and has run into personality conflicts with teammates and coaches, getting into fights and rubbing some the wrong way. The cause of his leave of absence from the organization is still unknown, but he left in the middle of an 0-for-18 skid and with a season-long batting average of just .127 with Portland. It will be interesting to see how the 22-year-old Place handles returning to baseball, and whether he can eventually make it.

Jeff from Braintree asks: My question is regarding Mike Cameron. Its been said that hes going to need surgery at the end of the season and my eyes are telling me that even when his is in the lineup hes not at 100 percent. Is it time to make a move for an established everyday outfielder?

Answer: What about Ellsbury? When Ellsbury comes back -- not that anyone seems to know when that will be -- he will be the one playing center field every day, with Cameron heading to left field. But, of course, there's as little certainty with Ellsbury as there is with Cameron. That being said, the Sox could clearly use another outfielder. While Darnell McDonald and Daniel Nava have done extremely impressive jobs as fill-in starters, it would be hard for a team hoping to make the postseason to rely on them for much longer.

The Red Sox continue to treat Cameron with kid gloves, starting him in no more than two straight games for fear of losing him for the long-term, which is a significant concern. It's difficult to rely on an outfielder whom you can trust no more than four times a week. I know that he's working extremely hard to get back in the lineup as much as he can, but some of it is out of his control. While he hasn't admitted that he absolutely needs to get surgery at some point, it seems clear that would be a strong possibility. His limitations, though, would be much less detrimental if his four games per week were being paired with Hermida or Bill Hall in left field (not that either of those options is perfect) and Ellsbury in center field. So, in the end, some of this is hinging on exactly how long Ellsbury is going to be out. But right now? Another legitimate starter in the outfield would be nice.

Gary from Hubert, N.C., asks: Can you give us some kind of update on the Jed Lowrie situation ? We surely could use his help at this point in a injury plagued season.

Answer: It certainly would be significant for the Sox to be able to insert Jed Lowrie into the lineup with Pedroia down for six weeks or so. He would be exactly the kind of player that could fit in well, with the ability to play second base on a regular basis. Unfortunately for the Sox, Lowrie has been extremely slow in his progress back from mononucleosis, which was diagnosed in spring training. In fact, it's been so slow that Lowrie has been trying to figure out whether there's anything else going on, any other issues that have gone undiagnosed. There doesn't appear to be anything else wrong, though, according to manager Terry Francona. He has seen a specialist in Atlanta and will see that specialist again before heading back to Boston from Fort Myers, Fla., where he has been most of this season. In about a week, the Sox are planning to have him begin a 20-day rehab stint with the Lowell Spinners, so it's possible that he could be in the mix at some point. But, after all he's been through with injuries throughout his career, it's difficult to fully rely on him, though he obviously would be an attractive candidate in the Sox' current predicament.

Mitch from Los Angeles asks: Hey Amalie, Sometimes there comes a time in a man's life when he is single after being in a very long-term relationship. He then enters a new "phase" in his life and becomes a masculine juggernaut. Which player do you think is ready to break out of their rut and post a monstrous second half?

Answer: Juggernaut, eh? There are actually quite a few candidates on the Sox, as quite a few players have had abbreviated first halves, mostly due to injury. So, off the top of my head, the names that come to mind are Ellsbury and Beckett. Neither player has contributed much in the first half, with Ellsbury missing all but nine games with five fractured ribs and Beckett starting only eight times with a back and lat issue. With those two candidates in mind, I'm going to have to give the nod to Beckett. I remain concerned about Ellsbury's recovery process from the broken ribs and about his decision to leave the team for Arizona. There has been little information coming from Athletes Performance about his progress and about his return to Boston. As for Beckett, he should certainly improve on that 7.29 first-half ERA, not that that's much of an accomplishment. But he's a pitcher with a lot of determination and a lot of pride, and he's clearly unhappy with having to miss most of the first half of the season and with his performance in the times when he was able to pitch. Beckett still won't be back until after the All-Star break, with the Sox giving him plenty of time to recover from his injuries and build back up with three or four rehab starts in the minors. But I believe that, when he does finally return, the Sox opening day starter could be in line for a big second half.

Justin from Brooklyn, N.Y., asks: The Sox just called up Gustavo Molina to fill the spot vacated because of Victor's trip to the DL. Just curious why we're not seeing one of those Sox catching prospects we've heard so much about.

Answer: There are a couple of reasons. First, the two Triple A catchers that the Sox have are both injured, with Mark Wagner and Dusty Brown both out of commission. That certainly hurt, as either of those two catchers would easily have gotten the call over Gustavo Molina had they been completely healthy, especially as they're both on the 40-man roster. As for the other Sox catching prospects, none of them are yet ready for the major leagues. Luis Exposito, at Double A, is next in line, but a member of the organization told me in spring training that Exposito was unlikely to be ready in 2011, let alone in 2010. Tim Federowicz, currently toiling in Salem in high Single A, is even further removed from the major leagues than Exposito is. One key tenet of the Red Sox philosophy is not to bring up prospects before they're ready. The Sox are committed to only promoting their players when they believe that they can handle the next level, when it would not be detrimental to their development. As catchers have a particularly slow pace and high learning curve, it would not be to the organization's best interests to bring up its actual prospects at this point, no matter how much they need them.

David Humphrey from Arlington, Texas asks: Amalie -- Could Darnell McDonald have a long-term future with the Sox? The assumption seems to be that they'll designate him for assignment as soon as Hermida and/or Ellsbury get back, but hasn't he proven that he's a better alternative than Hermida (and more durable than Ellsbury, Cameron, or Drew)? Reddick doesn't seem ready for prime time, and Nava is too good to be true. Is there a chance for McDonald to stay on with the Sox? Thanks for your insights -- Sox Fan in Rangersland

Answer: Honestly, I don't think so. The Sox were willing to designate McDonald for assignment once, and I think they might need to do it again at some point, when Ellsbury and Hermida finally return from all of those broken ribs. McDonald has been a very competent replacement, filling in for all the Sox injured outfielders, but he's not really an everyday player. Since his remarkable first week in the majors with the Sox, McDonald has cooled off, batting .271 overall with a .331 on-base percentage and .741 on-base plus slugging, while demonstrating average defense, especially in centerfield. And while those numbers have actually increased in June (.290, .362, .798), there's a lot more potential upside with Hermida, not that he's proven all that much this season. I do believe that McDonald will get a chance with another club, as he has shown that he can hold his own as a fourth outfielder, starting occasionally. But I ultimately don't think that he has a true future with the Sox once they get healthier.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category