< Back to front page Text size +

Lowell feeling OK; Salty out for season

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  September 24, 2010 11:04 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

0ee1877a2d256b10d70e6a706700bd50.jpg

AP Photo/Bill Kostroun

Mike Lowell was still in the clubhouse and told reporters he felt OK after getting hit in the head by a bad-hop grounder.

"He's sore," Terry Francona sad. "It hit him in kind of the temple. We took him out for precautionary measures because his eye was twitching. But he didn't exhibit any signs of a concussion. We'll certainly keep an eye on him."

Meanwhile, the Red Sox have lost yet another player to a season-ending injury.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been shut down because of a torn ligament in his left thumb. Dr. Thomas Graham, a hand specialist, is scheduled to examine Saltalamacchia in Cleveland on Monday.

Graham performed season-ending thumb surgery on Kevin Youkilis in August. Saltalamacchia said Graham would determine whether he needs surgery.

“Nobody wants to make any decisions tight now until we figure everything out,” he said. “There’s stiffness and damage in there. We have to see how far it is.”

According to Saltalamacchia, he was first injured while playing for Triple A Oklahoma City prior to his July trade to the Red Sox.

“I’d say about a week ago he told us more in depth,” Francona said. “I can understand, he wanted to play.”

If surgery is required, Saltalamacchia is still expected to be ready for the start of spring training. Because of the injury, Saltalamacchia has had only 19 at-bats in parts of 10 games since being acquired.

Finally, the Red Sox are apparently about to sign infielder Felipe Lopez or already have. Terry Francona was told not to comment. But Scott Miller of CBS Sports reported the move.

Lopez, a solid offensive performer in 2009, was a disaster this season for the Cardinals (.231/.310/.340) and was released on earlier this week because of both poor performance and a habit of being late.

The Padres claimed him but Lopez vetoed that deal.

He profiles to be a Type B free agent, so the Red Sox could offer him arbitration and get a draft pick if Lopez turns it down, which would seem likely.

There is no apparent need for him on the roster, unless the Red Sox are planning to shut down Marco Scutaro. But even then, they have enough bodies to muddle through the final nine games.

A 40-man roster move would be needed but the Red Sox have plenty of 60-day DL candidates.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category