< Back to front page Text size +

Lester and Papelbon sharp against Twins

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  March 1, 2011 06:00 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jon Lester has a tendency to look like a scrub in his first outing of the spring. So two scoreless innings against the Twins this afternoon had him feeling good.

Lester threw 19 of his 27 pitches for strikes. He gave up one hit with one walk and one strikeout.

“I’m just glad the first one’s done and other with because that one always seems to give me the hardest trouble,” the big lefty said. “I feel good, that’s the main thing.”

Jonathan Papelbon needed only six pitches to get three outs in his one inning. The closer has had unexpectedly smooth mechanics since reporting to camp and it continued yesterday.

“I was pleased. It’s something that I’ve taken from the end of the season last year when I was throwing the ball really well,” he said. “I’ve tried to take that into this spring and it looks like I’ve been able to do that.”

Some other notes:

• Brent Dlugach, an infielder ticketed for Triple-A Pawtucket, dislocated his left shoulder and will be out of action indefinitely.

Dlugach made a terrific diving catch on a bunt, but landed hard on his shoulder and had to be helped off the field. Trainer Mike Reinold was able to pop the shoulder back into place and Dlugach left the stadium in a sling. He will have further tests today.

Papelbon, who was pitching, heard Dlugach’s shoulder pop. Yikes.

“You feel bad, the kid’s coming in trying to show what he can do,” Terry Francona said.

• Jarrod Saltalamacchia has caught 10 innings in two games and continues to impress with how well he handles the staff. “That’s not an issue,” Francona said. “We think that’s a strength of his. He’s very enthusiastic about earning everybody and building those relationships. I think he’s going to be fine.”

• Lefthanded reliever Dennys Reyes threw live batting practice for the first time back at CoP. The Sox want him to repeat that drill before getting into a game.

• David Ortiz remains at odds with hip-hop star Jay-Z, who contends a website for Ortiz’s Forty Forty nightclub in the Dominican Republic infringes on the rights of his 40/40 Club in Manhattan and sued. According to the New York Post, a three-hour negotiating session before federal judge Richard Berman on Monday did not produce a settlement. The parties could be headed to court later this month. The Post quoted Ortiz’s business manager, Mark Walker, as saying Jay-Z wanted “way too much.”

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category