FORT MYERS, Fla. — Jacoby Ellsbury, who had five boxes of new Nikes waiting at his locker, arrived at camp today and walked around the clubhouse greeting teammates new and old.
Dustin Pedroia, meanwhile, is busy banking the Benjamins. He filmed a commercial for Sullivan Tire this morning and is working on another one now.
A few other notes:
• Carl Crawford took 15 swings off a tee and said his surgically repaired left wrist felt fine. He's ahead of schedule. "I might surprise some people, you never know," he said. "I have to make sure I don't have any setbacks but everything feels good right now."
• Another example of how things are different: The clubhouse has six televisions hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the room., three facing each way. One of the televisions is running a continual loop of pitchers making good fielding plays. Maybe that's teaching by osmosis, Bobby Valentine style
"He eats and sleeps and breathes baseball and spends every waking moment trying to think of ways to help," GM Ben Cherington said.
• Bullpen coach and catching instructor Gary Tuck was back in uniform after having hernia surgery.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka is sporting a Justin Bieberish haircut these days (and, well, it's orange). He spoke to reporters and said he was impressed with Valentine's command of Japanese.
Bobby V played catch with Dice-K today. "It was the first time since I became a professional that I played catch with my manager," Matsuzaka said. "I was nervous."
• A Fort Myers resident told me that the woods beyond the practice fields are known to have panthers and wild hogs.
According to Clay Buchholz, who knows of such things, panthers can be five or six feet long. "I'd want to shoot it before it could hunt me," Buchholz said.