Carl Crawford was 1 for 3 with a home run and a walk in an extended spring training game earlier today. He was the DH.
He will return to Boston in the next few days to have his strained left elbow checked. If cleared, he could start a throwing program.
In other news:
• Jason Repko has a partially separated left shoulder after crashing into the wall to make a catch in center field on Friday. but will not go on the disabled list, not yet anyway.
That could change if the Red sox are able to obtain an outfielder via trade. They are engaged in talks with the Chicago Cubs for Marlon Byrd.
“Often,” Bobby Valentine said when asked how often he and general manager Ben Cherington have discussed the idea of making a deal. “The talks have been good talks from what I gather."
• Valentine spoke to a few players individually today to remind them not to press or try and carry the team alone.
"Just trying too hard. We have a great group of guys, great talent. Just trying too hard. Two-strike pitches, some of the at-bats that you saw [Friday] and days before are just not in character," Valentine said. "Talked to some of the guys individually about that. But talking about it and doing it are two different things."
• Valentine on his experience in Boston so far: "I had no idea what to expect. I had some idea what to expect but I didn't have any way of preparing for these things we're talking about, the Ellsbury, Crawford, Melancon, Bailey situations that we've dealt with. But I knew it was going to be extremely challenging and extremely eventful and it's been eventfully challenging."
• Valentine on hearing it from the crowd: "It's expected. They like performance. But the fans have been great so far. People I've met out to dinner, on the streets or on the bike ride or before the game have been great. When things haven't worked out during the game there have been vocal reaction."
Valentine said he likes talking to fans about strategy.
"I think it's great. That they're involved is a good thing," he said. "No one's yelled at me when I'm on my bike or tried to run to run me over or any of that [expletive]. That hasn't happened yet."
• Will Middlebrooks hit his seventh home run for Pawtucket today. At the moment he is hitting .381.