CHICAGO — Cody Ross was 1 for 7 in his two rehab games with Pawtucket, but there was a "very strong" report about how he played according to Bobby Valentine.
Nothing is official, but all indications are that Ross will be activated on Tuesday when the team returns home to play Miami.
• Ryan Sweeney has what amounts to a stress fracture in the sesamoid bone in his left big toe. He has been playing through it. But because the injury is to the back foot of his stance, he has had trouble hitting.
Sweeney will be getting a cortisone shot on Monday.
• Ryan Kalish had the happy smile of a man who took a long road back. The 24-year-old found out at 12:30 a.m. this morning that he was headed back to the big leagues for the first time since the end of the 2010 season.
Kalish was at Wrigley Field at 1 p.m. and is excited about being in center field. He said recovering from his shoulder and neck surgeries remains an ongoing process, but that he trusts what he's doing in terms of swinging a bat and throwing and isn't holding back.
• Adrian Gonzalez didn't protest when Valentine told him last night (via bench coach Tim Bogar) that he was getting a day off today. Gonzalez is slumping and has been going back and forth between first base and right field.
When Gonzalez came in the clubhouse, he sat down next to Will Middlebrooks and said, "You're a pro at this, what do I do?" Middlebrooks laughed
Days off are rare for Gonzalez. From 2006-11 he played in 958 of a possible 972 games. Bet he gets into the game tonight one way or another.
• The Red Sox aren't going into great detail about what's next for Carl Crawford. But he sure looks ready for a game based on watching him run and throw this afternoon. He's out to 150 feet and throwing the ball with some zip.
The Red Sox, specifically assistant pitching coach Randy Niemann, have changed the mechanics of how Crawford throws and given him a smoother delivery of the ball. Niemann was in charge of pitcher rehabs when he was with the Mets and knows his stuff.
• The Red Sox have used the DL 19 times this season for 17 players. Kalish brings to 41 the number of players who have been in uniform this season. And it's not even July yet.