ARLINGTON, Texas — A few pregame notes from Rangers Ballpark:
• Scott Atchison threw about 25 pitches in the bullpen and will join Triple A Pawtucket in Indianapolis on Friday to pitch an inning. The forearm soreness he had is gone and Atchison is hopeful of being activated as soon as Monday.
Atchison has a 1.76 ERA in 37 appearances.
• Andrew Bailey threw 23 pitches of live batting practice on the field Wednesday afternoon, facing Daniel Nava and Pedro Ciriaco. His control didn't look very sharp but Bailey was pain free and threw all his pitches.
He'll throw another BP session in Fort Myers this weekend. A rehab assignment could follow from there.
• Rich Hill will throw off the mound on Friday. He is coming back from an elbow strain.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka threw off the bullpen mound, too. No word yet on when he might start a rehab.
• Manager Bobby Valentine was asked about the idea of using Carl Crawford as the DH given that his elbow is not sound. Valentine said the idea was considered and rejected. They want Crawford to get used to playing in the field and to build up his arm strength.
• Pawtucket RHPs Brandon Duckworth and Jeff Mathis have left the organization to sign with teams in Japan. Maureen Mullen of Comcast had that news.