The Red Sox will all wear No. 6 tonight and there will be a pregame ceremony to mark the passing of Johnny Pesky. There also is a No. 6 cut into the grass behind shortstop with a foul pole next to it.
There will be another ceremony later this season.
As to matters involving the team:
• Daniel Nava was activated off the disabled list and replaced Carl Crawford on the roster.
• Vicente Padilla was activated off the disabled list. Danny Valencia was optioned to Pawtucket.
• Jacoby Ellsbury is hitting third for the first time in his career. Bobby Valentine said he hoped that would help Ellsbury be more aggresisve at the plate.
• Rich Hill will continue his rehab assignment with Pawtucket. Once he does back-to-back outings, he should be ready to return from the DL.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka (yes, he's still around) is scheduled to pitch for Pawtucket tonight. The hope is he will go seven innings. Can you get money on that in Vegas?