< Back to front page Text size +

Gonzalez blames Fenway for lack of power

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff  August 27, 2012 11:24 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

ANAHEIM, Calif. Adrian Gonzalez, the new fresh prince of Bel-Air, told the Los Angeles Times that Fenway Park was to blame for his lack of home runs.

Says Gonzalez:

"What took my power away was the Green Monster. ... I used to hit line drives that way and they would be doubles. That took away five home runs from me last year. So I would have had 32."

Gonzalez hit eight home runs in 267 at-bats at Fenway Park this season. Cody Ross has 13 in 202 at-bats and Jarrod Saltalamacchia 11 in 183. Does the wall duck when they're up?

Gonzalez also went after the media.

"They didn't like that I was a calm person. I won't throw my helmet, I won't scream, I won't use bad words if I strike out. That's what they want over there," he said.

I'm genuinely curious, did any credible person in the Boston media do that? If so, I honestly can't remember. Feel free to post a link if somebody credible did that.

No question Boston is a tough media town and Gonzalez took some hits. But did anybody really go after him for his demeanor? That seems like revisionist history.

Meanwhile, Josh Beckett couldn't get through six innings in his Dodgers debut and is headed for a loss in Colorado. His semi-respectable line: 5.2 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 R. The Rockies have a 10-0 lead in the eighth inning.

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category