< Back to front page Text size +

Ortiz out for second day in a row, trip back to DL looms

Posted by Michael Vega, Globe Staff  August 26, 2012 12:04 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz was out of the lineup for the second game in a row Sunday against the Royals at Fenway Park.

Ortiz, who returned to the lineup after missing 35 games with a strained right Achilles' tendon, could possibly be headed back to the disabled list after playing one game in Friday's' 4-3 victory in the opener of this four-game series against the Royals.

"Talked to him late [Saturday] night about 12:30 and he didn't think today would be a good day to play,'' Sox manager Bobby Valentine said before Sunday's game.

Ortiz went 2-for-4 with a double and 2-RBI. He gave the Sox a 2-0 lead when he hit a two-run single in his first at-bat. On his second plate appearance, Ortiz doubled and felt some discomfort in his heel as he rounded first base.

He missed Saturday's 10-9 loss in 12 innings and was out of the lineup Sunday.

Asked if the team had reached a crossroads where it had to weigh and measure the risks of continuing to allow Ortiz to play or to shut him down for the season, Valentine replied, "We're probably there. We're just going to give it a couple of days to see. He said the practice and game [conditions] is just that little difference in adrenaline that differentiates it.

"When he hit the double and he turned it, he turned to second, he said it was uncomfortable, where he was comfortable doing those things in practice. We're definitely not going to do anything to jeopardize David's career. David totally wants to do everything he can to be a part of this team for this year and for the future, so that's what we're dealing with.''

In other matters:

* Valentine said that OF Che-Hsuan Lin, who had been called up Saturday from Triple A Pawtucket along with SS Jose Iglesias and RHP Junichi Tazawa after the team completed a blockbuster nine-player trade with the Dodgers, had been sent back down to Pawtucket to make room for RHP Pedro Beato to help fortify a bullpen that was completely depleted in Saturday's 10-9 loss in 12 innings.

* James Loney, who was one of the five players acquired from the Dodgers in exchange for the financial flexibility the team realized in unloading the contracts of its three highest-paid players (Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett), arrived at the ballpark Sunday and was inserted into the lineup at first base in the No. 5 hitting position.

* Valentine said Daisuke Matsuzaka, who is scheduled to start Monday, would likely be activated from the DL before his start. Also, Valentine said Daniel Nava, who was placed on the 15-day DL Saturday with a sprained wrist, was "feeling good in his rehab, but he wasn't feeling great when he played the game here after his fourth game in Triple A where he had three at-bats. In his third at-bat here he felt something and he thought it would go away, and it kept getting worse the next day in batting practice."

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

archives

browse this blog

by category