A few notes for you:
• Jacoby Ellsbury is out of the lineup with an injury that Bobby Valentine was apparently told not to disclose. "He has a little situation that we're making sure it's nothing more than a little situation," Valentine said. "He really shouldn't of played yesterday."
Indications are that Ellsbury has a sore lat muscle.
• The Sox called up RHP Zach Stewart, RHP Pedro Beato and INF Danny Valencia. Stewart is being lined up to start against the Orioles on Sept. 30.
OF Che-Hsuan Lin was not called up, which seems a little odd given that the Red Sox actually lack healthy outfielders and Lin is a terrific defensive player.
• Daisuke Matsuzaka's next start is being skipped. But Valentine said he would be making one more start before the season is over. That should help the Sox get a higher draft pick.
• Valentine tried to give Dustin Pedroia a day off. But he showed up at Fenway at 1 p.m. and had talked his way into the lineup an hour later.
• The Orioles activated DH Jim Thome and LHP Troy Patton off the disabled list.
• Former Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson, who was fired last season, is with the Orioles. He was their Triple A manager this season.
• The Sox added Triple A manager Arnie Beyeler and pitching coach Rich Sauveur to the coaching staff.
"It gets a little crowded in that coaches' room," Valentine said. "I even offered my office if anybody wanted to dress there. But you know what the coaches think of me."
• Best to Guy Spina, one of the Fenway Park press box attendants. He is retiring after 38 years with the organization.
• Fans attending Saturday's game can line up on the warning track from 11:20 a.m. to noon to get photos with the players. ... Kids attending the game on Sunday can run the bases after the game. ... The Johnny Pesky tribute will be on Sunday at 6 p.m. after the game. It will be open to fans for free.