FORT MYERS, Fla — Will Middlebrooks will go through a regular pre-game routine today but won't play until Saturday, John Farrell said. The team wants to give him one extra day off because of the flash of pain he had in his right wrist on Wednesday.
"I think we’re all best served by just another day of normal pre-game, full-BP and on-field work," Farrell said.
• Jonny Gomes is day-to-day because of a cut on his left knee that required three stitches. "We want to make sure the laceration starts to close up. He wants to play," Farrell said.
• David Ortiz, who missed two days for personal reasons, is due back today. But he did not make today's practice.
• Farrell said Alfredo Aceves has been a "model citizen" since the live batting practice hubbub.
• Bryce Brentz, the outfield prospect who shot himself in the leg cleaning a handgun, is making progress but not yet doing full baseball activities.
"We fully expect at some point in camp he’d be over in games here. When, we don’t have the exact date but we’re hopeful that he would be back at full baseball activity and get into games on our side,” Farrell said.
• Shane Victorino leaves for the WBC after Saturday's game. In his absence, Jackie Bradley Jr. will see some time in right field. Gomes, too.
• Victorino is playing tonight and could play Saturday, too. The Sox want him to get some innings with Jacoby Ellsbury in the outfield to work on communication.