< Back to front page Text size +

Lyle Overbay anxious over his fate

Posted by Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff  March 22, 2013 11:47 AM
  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

E-mail this article

Invalid email address
Invalid email address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

DUNEDIN, Fla. – Tuesday is the big day for Lyle Overbay. He has an opt-out in his contract Tuesday and right now, barring a big couple of games (he was in the lineup today vs. the Blue Jays) he probably would make the Red Sox.

If the Red Sox don't elect to keep him on the major league roster but want to send him to the minors, they have to pay him a $100,000 bonus as required by the new collective bargaining agreement.

But it appears Overbay will have other options.

The Yankees may need a lefthanded compliment to Juan Rivera at first base. Yankee scouts have been watching Overbay closely.

"If it works out it works out," Overbay said. "My swing is getting there. I had a back issue a couple of days ago, but I feel fine now, but I lost some time there. I'm not as consistent as I want to be. I felt good in the cage the last couple of days."

Overbay thought the Red Sox were a good fit because Mike Napoli is an inexperienced first baseman. But since then they also traded for Mike Carp, who now has a leg up on Overbay because he's on the roster and had the ability to play the outfield.

"I look at it like I can benefit this team but I’m kind of biased," Overbay said.

  • E-mail
  • E-mail this article

    Invalid E-mail address
    Invalid E-mail address

    Sending your article

    Your article has been sent.

News, analysis and commentary from the following Boston Globe and Boston.com writers:
archives

browse this blog

by category